Songs that put you in a bad mood

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Garball, May 21, 2014.

1. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

That's originally Dolly Parton song, and in my opinion, it's so much more soulful when Dolly sings it.

Any insipid crappola courtesy of autotune, and most songs by Elton John, annoy me, but I avoid them so it isn't that much of a problem. However a song 'Drugs Don't Work' makes me curl up in a foetal position and it can seriously depress me for the entire day. It's a beautiful song, but since working in a hospice for almost two years, and knowing it's about his dad's final days, I just can't take it anymore.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I have pretty much the opposite opinion; I think the original Blinded by the Light is far better than Manfred Mann's cover; and some of the songs on Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. are among his best-written songs, especially For You, but also Mary Queen of Arkansas, Lost in the Flood, and It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City. They cannot compete with Darkness on the Edge of Town, but still. The album does have a few songs that are just word salads, but those do not detract from the songs that are meaningful and thematic.

If there is any album by Bruce that annoys me, it is Tunnel of Love.
    Heh, I consider listening to that song to be a precursor to the inspiration for my work in progress. That and Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones. Interesting combination, I know. Streets of Philadelphia evoked some gloomy mental images that I instantly knew would be perfect for the last chapter, and I guess Brown Sugar just got my blood pumping at the thought of writing a novel.

There are a few songs that the radio incessantly plays, but something about the rhythm puts me off. The two examples I can think of are We Are Young by fun., and Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. The rhythm feels too... forced? stiff? cluttered with unmusical synthesized noise? The vocals also feel strained and forced. Anyway, they make me feel stiff and they keep my thoughts trapped in a short circuit. My antidote after hearing either of those is to listen to Sympathy for the Devil by The Rolling Stones, which has one of the best rhythms that I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. It relaxes me and gets the mental juices flowing again. Explorers by Muse is another song with an amazing rhythm (not to mention a beautiful melody and a passionate vocal performance) with a similar "antidote" effect.

A lot of country music from the 90s and early 2000s makes me feel really crappy. That is probably mostly due to association. The only time I regularly listened to it as a child was on the radio in the car with my mom, and we regularly got stuck in southern California's infamous traffic jams at the worst times. It was usually on the roads through the ugly brown parts of the landscape, too. So that music makes me think of sitting in traffic on a hot, smoggy afternoon.

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

When I was about 15 (a long time ago!) I dreamed that I died while Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In was playing, and ever since then it's never failed to put me in a vile mood.

jannert likes this.
  4. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    Anything by Skrillex...it just sounds like a bunch of noise and my hubby greatly enjoys it. :wtf:

5. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

When I'm playing guitar I put my husband in a bad mood :(

6. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

Black Gives way to Blue.

7. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

I was on my last couple of sets in the gym today trying to finish a workout I didn't want to start in the first place. The two ass-clowns who kept calling each other brah weren't making it any easier for me to stay, and then it happened. Blinded by the Light started playing through the ceiling speakers; the music had been off for the entire time I was there. Somebody out/up there has a real shitty sense of humor.

8. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Most stuff by Hopsin. I listened to him a lot when I was depressed, and I can't stomach misogyny nearly as well now as I could then. It instantly makes me feel bad about everything.

9. WhatLibertine

WhatLibertine Member

Any song by Tracy Chapman has a strange effect on me - instantly makes me angry and I absolutely must switch it off immediately, almost like I'm allergic to that voice.

Strange, as I can still recognize her obvious talent as a singer songwriter!?

10. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

It Wasn't Me by Shaggy. Granted, it's incredibly old and I no longer hear it. But I had just found out my boyfriend cheated on me when that song came on the radio, and I almost threw up. lol Now every time I hear it, it brings me back to that night.

11. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

Songs from Nirvana can put me in a bad mood. It's just that Grunge Rock was music that was meant to have negative lyrics.

12. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Rap is a genre that has been used to say really awesome things (Public Enemy, 2Pac, etc) but Eminem's silly voices and lyrics about actually, you know, murdering people... not good.

13. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

What, you mean like Lose Yourself, When I'm Gone, The Way I Am, Sing for the Moment, 313, 'Til I Collapse, etc.?

Or maybe his songs with self-aware and often parodic (even deconstructive) references to murder, like Stan or Role Model?

14. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

No man, you're not getting it. <insert emoticon>

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

A few good songs does not a discography make.

16. Swiveltaffy

A few bad artists are not the genre.

17. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Rap takes the music out of the hands of musicians and puts it in the hands of producers. It therefore sucks.

18. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

'My Heart Will Go On' will always put me in a bad mood due to the memories of having to sit for hours listening to that song over and over again at the singing competitions I did. You would think that that was the only 'popular' song in the world. The only difference was who was singing the song but not one of them made me not want to rip my ears out..

jannert likes this.
  19. minstrel

I want to hear Joe Cocker do it. Should be interesting.

20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Whistle While You Work usually has me throwing hard objects at even harder targets. Probably because it's the local ice cream mannie's favourite ditty. If he'd just go back to tweedling Swedish Rhapsody every now and again, I could maybe cope. I'm fed up buying new coffee cups...

21. Wynter

Wynter Active Member

Anything by Ariana Grande.

22. minstrel

Buy a Nerf ball. You can throw it at anything and nothing happens.

jannert likes this.
  23. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

OMIGOD. ABBA. Urkkkkkkk.... they were irritating enough the first time around, but now that they are immortal pop god/goddesses, they are EVERYWHERE. And furthermore, their songs are all earworms. Two lines, and that's you for the rest of the day....

Come back, ice cream mannie ...all is forgiven.

24. Swiveltaffy

I'd take stance against that generalization.

25. James Random

James Random Member

Anything by Justin Bieber puts me in a bad mood. Every time I hear it I'm like:

[​IMG]