1. Mav

Mav New Member

Buying some books...

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mav, Oct 23, 2008.

First of all, hello! :D
    Well, I only buy books like three times a year (but I buy lots of 'em!) because I don't live in an english-speaking country. So, my parents are visiting the U.S. in a week or two, and one thing I know is that I'm going to buy Brisingr (What? I can't leave book collections incomplete :p) and The Last Argument of Kings (the last book in 'The First Law Trilogy'.

I was planning on buying The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. My question is, are these books good?

By the way, does anyone knows of novels that have the same style as The Hobbit?

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Neverwhere, in my opinion, was awesome. If you enjoy quest stories, but want a modern edge to it, this is a good one to go for.

3. Blossom

Blossom New Member

Hello to you too!

I don't know Neverwhere, but The Colour of Magic is a very good book. If you're at all familiar with the Discworld series then I will say it's not as good as the later books, as Prachett's style has evolved and the later books have more concrete plot lines. The series really takes off with Guards, Guards in my opinion. That said, The Colour of Magic (and Prachett in general) is definitely worth reading.

If you want something in the same style as The Hobbit there's always Lord of the Ring ... :p I've heard people recommend reading the Narnia books alongside LOTR and the Hobbit, as Tolkien and CS Lewis were writing around the same time and with similar themes. I don't personally think there's a comparison of style though, if that's what you're looking for. Tolkein has a very distinct and unique style, in my opinion.

If you want recommendations though, well, one of my favourite fantasy authors in Jennifer Fallon. She's written three trilogies and one quartet, and I've loved them all.

Happy book buying!

4. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Arshad beat me to saying everything you need to hear.

5. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    The Dark Tower series will probably run, for all seven, around twenty bucks.

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

IDK, if you've never read King before I'd recommend to get a few standalones first, especially the ones he published as Bachman. The Long Walk (definitely one of my all-time favorites), the Running Man. Carrie is pretty good too and I've heard that Christine is also cool. Besides King I also strongly recommend On A Pale Horse (by Piers Anthony), Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter, and Jumper (the movie was based on the book, but the book is several times better).

7. righting

righting Banned

I've read good reviews for Neverwhere, and you might want to try neil gaimans new book 'the graveyard'