1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Traditional Soon to be Published!!!

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Keitsumah, Mar 30, 2013.

hey guys, yeah im about to get my first work published!!! it's a short story that i've entered in a contest from my school, and as i got third place in districts (after winning first place in county) out of seventy-seven people it will be put into a booklet (aka: anthology) that will be traditionally published.

I am extremely excited about this and though i don't think i will get any royalties out of it, I will go along with it to get it published to get my name out there. the only problem is...

have any of you been in this situation and felt just a little bit scared that your work might end up completely trashed? i mean i know im gonna get published but im scared of public opinion as i am "sending my baby out of the nest". I really don't know what to think.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Congrats and it is exciting to have something selected from so many to find its way to publication.

You would know what royalties you'll earn by the contract you sign...unless you signed off or agreed through originally entering the competition.

One never knows what the 'reading public' will think of your story, or how widely it will be distributed and/or read. I always remind myself that I didn't enjoy every novel or story I've ever read, so it's logical not to expect everyone to enjoy my works.

A professional writer takes the good with the bad and doesn't respond in a negative way to poor reviews by readers. Doing so may initially 'feel good' but I've never seen it turn out well for the writer.

3. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

Dang Keit!! Congrats! :D

And, don't worry what people think of it to much. People can think what they like, but that still doesn't change the fact that your story was good enough to get into that book.

Well done and congrats again :D

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

That's great news! Congrats!

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's great!. Very exciting.

At this point, you need fear not. People already like it or you wouldn't have won the competitions.

6. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Congrats! Believe in yourself - you'll be published, your work is excellent and you came out top out of 77 people, that's quite something! Let the haters hate, they will hate because they have nothing better to do. Don't worry. There will also be tonnes and TONNES of people who will love your work. The judges in the competition already love your work - there will be more people like them. They'll see the beauty in your writing and appreciate it, and maybe love it as much as you do.

Let nothing dampen your spirit. Get your name out there. You go girl!

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

don't think!

just enjoy knowing that enough readers like your work enough that it got included in the book... no writer in the history of the human world has ever pleased every single reader with her/his writings... don't expect to be the only exception...

congratulations on having a success so early in lfe! [and don't let it go to your head, 'cause it may be a long time before you see another ;) ]

love and hugs, maia

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Hey congrats!
    Focus on the praise and ignore the sneers. Being a creative person means you're always going to draw opinions - often
    contradictory ones!
    Just don't let it change who you are, never change to suit the masses. Be true to your writing and yourself.
    Remember judges who know their stuff already judged you a winner. Soak that in!

9. Sved

Sved Senior Member

Congratulations!

Listen to the appropriate feedback and ignore the destructive!

10. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

Trust your work. Public opinion be damned. Sure, it is always better that your work is well received, but the fear of not being well received is no reason second guess. You won something because your work has merit. Don't forget that.

11. Markowen

Markowen New Member

Your first work published is a great new, and that's it.
    It'll come the time to think about the public opinion.