1. Quinton

Quinton New Member

Philosophical Sayings

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Quinton, May 9, 2011.

Have you ever thought that something you thought of was extremely cool and down to earth. Something you would want to share with people, if only for a moment. It could be why you write, just so that you can enter these ideas into your writings. Or it could be just something that needed to be said. I had one today, and i thought that i should start a thread where you could post them. Something where, even though they might not be read, they have the option to.

[This is mine that i thought of only an hour ago. I was thinking of just what has happened to me in the past few months. I found that there were a lot of times where i couldn't see the whole picture. I'm don't think i can see it now, but i think i have more of the puzzle pieces in place]

A Large portion of our memories are with other people. If you can realize this then you can do something about it. Take your friends, foes, and acquaintances, and create something to remember. Take the time to stop and look at what memories you have. And if you aren't satisfied with those memories, make new ones. Because one day, you will cherish them.

2. Kio

Kio New Member

Just to clarify, you believe that people are able to fabricate their own memories? That's what I got from it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't think of anything philosophical and cool right now. I'll get back to you on that though.

3. sweetaholic

sweetaholic New Member

I believe that the mind is the most amazing thing. I think that if you truly want something, memories to cherish for example, all you have to do is believe they have come true and put a great amount of feeling into it in order for it to honestly come to fruitition. It's Noetics.

4. eMotive-

eMotive- New Member

My mind is sadly pretty small, so I've never really thought of anything that's original when it comes to philosophy. I do enjoy basing my stories off philosophical quotes, however, such as Nietzsche's "Gaze too long into the abyss, and the abyss gazes back".

5. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I think that's a really interesting method of finding stories, especially if you enjoy writing highly philosophical or abstract works. Two of my favorite books are The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton and Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis, so the surreal, metaphysical type of writing highly appeals to me. I'll have to try this out for short stories or future novels.

6. eMotive-

eMotive- New Member

I wouldn't say my writing is philosophical or abstract in that sense, but the settings tend to be pretty surreal and leave a lot for the reader to imagine.

The plot also bases itself around the underlying meaning of that quote, but it doesn't exactly explore every single philosophical aspect. I tend to get easily confused by books that do such things :p

7. Quinton

Quinton New Member

In one word, i would say Attitude. If you change your attitude towards some event, then you change what you get out of it. You also react differently.

Interesting. My first thought on this is that when you think in despair to long, the despair starts to feed itself, creating a monster.

Yes, that is one of the ways of looking at it. You do have selective memories. Take a trip down a river with a couple of friends and you will find that each of you had a different experience even though you all took the same trip.

8. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I have a habit of including philosophical sayings/expressions/observations in my works. For example, in my current story I have an archangel narrator who makes observations about the human race. Here's an example of an excerpt from one of my character's "journal entries"

I'm not sure why I have a penchant for going off on long philosophical tangents. Maybe that's a weakness, I'm not sure LOL

9. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

"We must always question or be doomed to live in mediocrity and ignorance."
    "People want their ignorance and feel betrayed when some one takes it from them."

10. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

"Your worst day could be, in comparison, someone's best day."

11. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I like this one :D

12. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -Benjamin Franklin

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since my 'day job' is as a practicing philosopher, all i write has a philosophical slant to it... here are some of my 'greatest lines':

for lots more, from a variety of sources, see 'profundities' here:
    http://saysmom.com/maia/content.asp?Writing=112

14. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Well if we are doing other peoples quotes...

"It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt." - Samuel Langhorne Clemens

15. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

Two of my favorite quotes from my two favorite Charlies. I'll let you decide which is Charles Bukowski, and which is Charles Manson.

"That's why we all enjoy seeing mad men in movies or something. We admire them because they're doing exactly what they want to do. It might be cutting heads off of little girls and putting them all in the bathtub or something, but we admire that creature because it's aligned to do exactly what it wants to do, and the closer you get to exactly what you want to do, the better you are."

"They're looking for something dirty in everything, and if you're looking for something, you'll find it. You have to put up some kind of face for them, and that's the only face they understand. "

16. Quinton

Quinton New Member

I would say that creating a wording in something that you believe would be a philosophical saying. You can't create something you don't believe in.

a) We can always be questioning and still live in that sad world. We must question, believe, and act. This is the way to live outside our own comfortable mind.
    b) No person wants to be blind to the truth; they just want the truth to be something it's not.

Not if both of you have walked in the same shoes.

17. Leatherworth Featherfist

Leatherworth Featherfist New Member

That's why your worst day "could be," in comparison, someones best day. This philosophical quote deals with compassion. It's a matter of being able to put yourself in the same shoes as someone else. This quote is about being content with you're current situation by understanding that someone else in the world is going through something much worse. Walking in the same shoes as someone only strengthens this quote.

18. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Very true. I was talking to some one one day about how people make uninformed decisions based on what is popular and not what is right. The conversation went to how people get up set when you talk to them about the scarcity of oil and the problems with global warming and it dawned on me that some people do not want to know. Ignorance is bliss after all. That is when I came up with this quote. :redface:

19. Quinton

Quinton New Member

Yes

Most of "the world’s problems" are just things that we want to be concerned about. If we didn't have "problems" there would be no need for news. Think of the news as a novel or a movie; they could be based on true events, like a documentary, but there is always someone that has to write it, or direct it. In this sense, the news is a documentary on "the world's problems".

20. LaGs

LaGs Banned

Debatable to say the least

If that were the case, then people must be asking the wrong questions

True, but some people are perfectly ignorant and don't know they're blind in the first place.

21. Quinton

Quinton New Member

Children would be that way; they don’t know everything that is going on around them. That doesn't mean that children are ignorant or stupid, just unaware.

22. evelon

evelon Active Member

23. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    "You can stare at the street, but the street stare back at you."

Nietzsche by way of Das Racist! :p

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I know it isn't real life, but this quote really reverberated in my head.

"When you find yourself digging a hole, the first thing you do is stop digging." ~ John Marston from Red Dead Redemption.

Though he's fictional, his quote can be applied in the real world.

25. AltonReed

AltonReed Active Member

'Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some people have half a one for breakfast.'

Douglas Adams ftw!