Soothing Writing Rituals--What's your safety blanket?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Mar 2, 2011.

1. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I don't have any 'must-have' rituals, but I do like a nice cup of coffee or tea with lemon by my side. :)

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Make sure you don't get 'Paisley plaid' i.e. mottled circulation on your thighs because the laptop is heating your skin there too much for too long (like old ladies sitting by the fire).

3. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    :eek: Eeep!

4. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

I can see why some writers desire their rituals. I relish a quiet seat. In my house, however, that is not possible or for lengths at a time.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

they go after a few months - I get it when my fibromyalgia is causing my skin to work funny and I can't tell how hot something is against my skin.

6. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I used to put my laptop on my thighs, but then I noticed after some time that they were going red, so I stopped. :p

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I don't know how you all can type on your bed. I just get too claustrophobic. I use the bed for sleeping and relaxing, only. :D

8. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I *wish* I could sit in bed all the time. My laptop overheats stupidly easily. :(

9. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Usually for me it requires a good list of music(singing or not, depending on the mood I need) I can't write without some kind of music....I just don't seem to get involved enough without it! :( That and comfy spot rather it be my kitchen table or my couch, most of my writing happens at the table though. And if I'm not in the right mood, I just turn on music to fix my mood to the right one. ;) If that fails(which it rarely does)then I either have writer's block or I really have nothing to write about at the moment....

10. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Music is my big writing inspiration, and it's usually slow or introspective songs, occasionally classic rock songs.

11. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

Well sometimes I can listen to Heavy Japanese rock by "The Gazette" and write better than any other music!o_O I can listen and type or even sing while writing:D(only if i know a song well)

12. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

When the weather is not nice I write at my dining room table, when it is nice I write on my front porch (It's a wraparound with a lovely lake view, nothing better :) ). I almost always write to music, what type and how is a different story. If the kids aren't home my stereo is usually loud enough the neighbors can probably hear it (pretty large gap between homes here so that's an accomplishment) and if they are home and I'm writing I use my earbuds and pandora. What I listen to depends on what I'm writing. I listen to classical, country (from Hank Williams Sr. to Taylor Swift), rock, metal, pop, rap (although with this one I'm pretty selective), and everything in between. I LOVE music in as varied a number of styles as I do writing.

13. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Some good stuff. :)

I don't usually listen to music and like some 'quiet time' to write. Sometimes I take the laptop or paper & pen and chill out on the bed.

Most of the time I write at my desk by the window. It's up in the loft bedroom and overlooks some high eucalyptus tree tops. :) I find it quite soothing.

14. Eurlo

Eurlo Banned

what do you listen to when you write sad scenes in your book?

Me: The song, "Reila" by the Gazette....it works on my emotional side of writing:D

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

When I write, I can never do it all at once. I have to write in installments. I write and write until I feel I can't anymore, and then occupy myself with something else for a few hours until I feel like writing again.