1. chad

chad New Member

My passion

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chad, Oct 27, 2006.

Just thought I would post this here. I've been working on this about a year and we are starting to make progress. This is my idea of the perfect boat. Started with some ideas on what I wanted and than started tweaking it. I've been working the design with a couple of internet buddies. I've spent the last year (not all the time) working on weights and longitudal & vertical center of gravities. These are important in how a sailboat behaves, whether or not it goes turtle on you and how it handles the wind.

Here is an image from the program we are using to flesh in the design.

[​IMG]

Chad

2. Raven

Raven Banned

I must admit IF i ever win the lottery I'll go out and buy myself a boat an do some sailing. Id proberly sail around the coasts of Great Britain to start with.
    Theres no much that is more peaceful than the sound of the ocean.

~Raven.

3. chad

chad New Member

I love getting out on the water by myself, just me the wind the water and my boat. Even if the wind don't blow much I drift around enjoying my time.

Chad

4. Felony

Felony New Member

And the sound of being eaten.... I love that sound...well unless i'm being eaten that is

5. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I must say, I miss the ocean being as we don't get much sea time here in Oklahoma. :)

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Its a calming and relaxing sound.

I must admit though I always wanted to go studying Great White sharks. I'd love to do that.

~Raven.

7. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

What program do you use, chad? Are you studying mechanical physics in school?

8. Felony

Felony New Member

I would die before doing that. I'm afraid they'd eat me.

9. chad

chad New Member

I'm way out of school, although at 42 I've been thinking of going back and finishing my construction management degree.

The programs we use. That image above is created using Free!Ship. We use that to flesh out the design. I than export that to AutoCad and use that to do detail work. I use both AutoCad and Free!Ship to gather the data needed for the weight, Longitudal & Vertical center of gravities. This data is than put in a spreedsheet to do the calculations.

We are on the second design spiral. You start out figuring your weights LCG & VCG and than do a righting moment curve. Once you have that done the first time you modify the design to make these numbers better. You than go back and redo all of your calculations and than check it all again. If further adjustments are needed you do them and start your calculations again and contiue this spiral till the numbers work.

Once the numbers work I will start doing detail drawings using AutoCad and than start building.

I say we because this is a group effort. I have a naval architect who is helping me with the calculations and another friend who is doing the Free!Ship work.

Chad

10. Felony

Felony New Member

You should use Adobe Illustrator. It's reallly good for making things 3-D.

11. chad

chad New Member

This Free!Ship program is designed esp. for boat design. It gives you a lot of information that is not available elsewhere, and it's free. As far as the details I use AutoCad at work and I'm good with it, so that is the best choice.

Chad

12. Felony

Felony New Member

ok that's even better!!!