1. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

Sorry guys won't be posting :(

Discussion in 'Erotica' started by staceylouise, Feb 1, 2014.

Sorry guys I won't be posting any of my work on the forum. I've read the general forum post about posting on forums and harming your chances of getting published, so it's made my ddecision. I'm gonna have to get someone I know to critique it. Will probably ask the headteacher at my children's school but going to be a bit embarrassing considering its exotica!!!

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Posting short excerpts of your writing will not hurt your chances of getting an item published. No one is ever encouraged to post more than a few hundred words for help for that reason. Also, remember that all writing is good writing. Writing other "throw away" works help you as a writer. You can enter into these projects knowing full well you will not be wanting to publish them and only make use of them to help perfect and hone your writing. Not posting your work is, of course, purely and totally your choice. I mention what I mention so that you may reconsider making more full use of everything this or any other forum has to offer. ;)

matwoolf likes this.
  3. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

@Wreybies is right about the risk factor. That's really not much of a consideration, given the low word count of what gets posted, and it doesn't have to be from your major opus either.

One thing to consider, is that getting one opinion amounts to just that. One opinion. How useful is that, really? It's much easier to learn from critique when you can see a consensus of opinion. It helps to gauge your strengths and weaknesses. If one person doesn't 'get' it, there's a temptation to believe it's a matter of personal taste that is the issue. When others come back saying the same thing, you know the fault lies with the writing. I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned this way.

It's such a great learning opportunity, I think it would be a shame to close yourself off to the idea entirely. But, however you decide to proceed, best of luck. :)

4. AnubisTheJackle

AnubisTheJackle New Member

You can also get active in the community and build a list of people that you're friendly with on here and have them privately critique your work. That way, even if you sent your entire WIP, it wouldn't hurt your chances as it would be a private conversation inaccessible from the public.