1. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Southern gothic

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by TheSerpantofNar, Aug 13, 2012.

I recently started writing some modern short stories in the genre southern gothic and im enjoying it actually :D I don't know what other people think of this unique style of writing but ive found I enjoy it :D However I have found that in order to stay true to the style I have to write dark,depressing and depraved characters in often run down settings being that im from the south i feel pretty at home writing this genre. But ive also found it can be hard to write given the subject matter at times can be sick,twisted,depraved but also has a dark sense of humor my first gothic short story involved excessive drug abuse and insanity and implied poverty and a morally repugnant character. And yes it did indeed in badly very very badly;)

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm from the south, but I haven't heard of this genre before. Seems interesting.

Are you worried that it's too depraved and depressing? Well, then, add some happy moments to it to counter the depraved and depressing parts.

3. ArtWander

ArtWander New Member

Glad I read your whole message without sqwaking "True Blood"! :)
    Honestly? Very interesting setting you have there. I would just say to be careful not to alienate your reader. You seem to have a lot of themes going on that people may not understand. Give the characters elements the reader can hold on to and care about.

4. TheSerpantofNar

TheSerpantofNar Active Member

Southern gothic doesn't often involve happy moments im afraid darkly comic situation's however yeah I hadn't heard of this genre before either but there is a lot to work with setting wise. You said "True Blood" and I thought "Killer Joe" lol im not too fond of "True Blood" but I like the noir settings involving lots of shadow and dark characters and even dark motives and decrepit settings run down buildings and old southern ghost towns. No im not worried that its too depraved and depressing I don't think people read the southern gothic genre for happy endings cause if you want that go another place the happiest you'll get from me is a ironic ending or a dark twist. Then again i think southern gothics charm is the black comedy and twisted situation's you can put your characters and most of my characters die