Space opera terminology. Help

Discussion in 'Research' started by architectus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. bluebell80

bluebell80 New Member

Well, he can still invent things that aren't used in sea or air going vessels, things that would be unique to the world he is creating. Like how they get and process their power, how or if ships reach near or surpass light speed, tools, those types of things.

And aren't loading and docking sections on space ships usually called loading bay/docking bay? And how about shields, or what they use to cover their bay doors and windows? Might not be glass, but a type of plasma covering, or magnetic shielding.

Usually, for the space opera type books I've read, there are commonly used naval terms, some aeronautic terms (which are similar but also have some differences) and then there are some terms for items that don't exist that are fully made up but that fit into the spectrum of the terminology and language use of the people inhabiting that world.

2. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I’ve never really thought about the terminology. I guess I have just watched too much sci-fi, read too much of it (plus naval historical fiction), and too many video games.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

On an aircarft carrier, you have a flight deck, elevators, and hangar decks, so these terms can be carried over as an alternative to landing bays. Most ocean vessels don't have specific areas for loading and launching auxiliary craft, so I suspect landing bay was a term that came about analogous to a harbor to apply to a relatively uncommon feature for oceangoing vessels. But the term landing bay or shuttle bay has been used often enough that it has gained a general acceptance in the SF world.

Some auxiliary craft, like lifeboats or launches, are stowed in a cradle (sometimes a launch cradle), so that term might also be used in an SF setting.

My recommendation would be to learn as much as possible about naval nomenclature, and then be creative to add or substitute from that. Whatever you do, though, make sure you understand the meaning of each term you borrow!

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I was recommending it in terms of using generally realistic naval terms, not specifically rank structure. Though actually, I don't think it was innappropriate for a non-terran human civilisation to use a different rank system.

Also, I'd point out that Galactica was an under-crewed ship, originally destined for decommissioning. Whilst I accept it's a jump that Starbuck would be their best pilot and markswoman, I don't think it's unreasonable that Fleet officers would command marines in an emergency- after all, they'd have gone through basic training as well as leadership training.

Also, on most modern warships have a Bridge and a CIC, and in a combat situation, the Captain would be on one, and the First Officer on the other- to minimise the damage if one is destroyed, so the ship doesn't lose all of its leadership.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

uh...cog... fyi, the us air force does not have any 'ocean vessels'... aircraft carriers are part of the us navy and only navy pilots [who are navy-trained] fly off them... the air force only has ground bases and ground-based pilots, none at sea... you'd better prepare to dodge a few bullets/bombs/missiles, if any navy pilots see your posts, honeybun... ;-)

hugs, m

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, but I looked it up before posting. The Air Force does have some drone recovery vessels. No aircraft carriers or gunships, but they do have ships.

7. mammamaia

some nautical terms are also used for both air force craft and spacecraft, however, such as [flight] 'deck'...

8. mammamaia

i stand corrected on the ownership bit... but a ship is still a ship... so the terminology certainly wouldn't change simply because the ships are owned by the usaf... and i seriously doubt air force-trained personnel 'drive' and man the ship exclusively, w/o some help from the navy...

i'd be surprised to find i'm wrong on that, but am willing to accept proof, if you can find it, amigo mio...