Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Why is it moved?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by wordwizard, Jul 24, 2009.

I posted a revised edition of a poetry piece I have written. (The Last)
    It was moved into the original poetry piece.

Now I feel as though noone is going to see it and make comments on it, because there is no notice saying that it is revised. It just looks like it is the same original poetry piece. (witha bunch of comments)

Is it customary to have a revised piece of poetry moved to the original poetry piece.....behind all the comments made about the original piece?

If so, then I think that that rule should be changed, or at least there should be a notice indicating that there is a new addition to the piece.

sincerely
    WW

2. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless New Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    You could just edit your own post with a short notice saying that there is a revised version below. You could even edit the whole revision into your first post, with the original in spoiler tags for reference where major changes had been made.

If you allowed revisions their own threads, the forums would get rather cluttered. Plus since a revision is still fundamentally the same writing, and the changes coming from the discussion of the first version, it logically follows that you would continue to discuss it in the same thread.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The policy has long been in place that revisions and additions to the same piece of writing go in the same thread as the original draft. Tje purpose is tat the Review Room is a critiquing workshop, and members should be able to see the progress of a pieceof writing from one draft to the next as a result of critiques and accepted suggestions. Also, it prevents members from loading up a forum with multiple threads containing various pieces of their writing (it happens).

Preference IS given to new pieces of writing that have never been commented upon. Only these should appear in the Unreviewed Writing pane on the home page.

4. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Not impressed, but understandable.
    It is just a tad frusterating that one will work so hard to revise a piece but only to have it pretty much pushed aside. I have a quite a few posts from the original piece so I do not think many people are going to look upon the new addition because how would they know that there is something new there. This revised edition is quite a bit different.
    O well, enough of my whining. I really do understand that new poetry pieces should be favoured, but dang it, I worked hard on mine. haha.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

how would they know that there is something new there.

easy, it would show up as a new post, so when they go to see what the new post is, on the last page of the thread, they'll see your new version and the comments will continue, with posters able to compare your revision to the original...

6. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

Hmmmm In theory I think thats a good idea. However, I had 10 comments already on this piece. Which is substancial in my eyes.(Thank you all for commenting)
    When a person comments on a poetry piece, than it shows up as a new post. So how is someone to know that it's a revision and not just someone else commenting on it? Plus the revision is posted after the majority of all the comments.

I am not trying to start something at all, just hoping there is a better solution in the future. Otherwise I may as well just name it something different and repost, because it was so different from the origional that it was almost a new piece.

I am not trying to be silly about this, I just think that it could so easily be fixed.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Most people simply insert a comment at the beginning of the thread starter to direct people to the latest revision.

8. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

If we could just be able to add the word "revised" to the title, I think that it would be more benificial.

Who is even going to click on my poem when seeing all those comments have already been made. I for one go and read and review the poems with the least amount of reviews.

Anyways.....Not a big deal. Doesn't need to go further. Just was a simple question in the first place. I was hoping for a decent outcome but if noone is willing to budge on any "rules" than there is no point in talking further.

~still loving the site regardless.
    WW

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

when you move your cursor over each thread subject title in the section menu, you can read the opening words... so, if you do what cog says others have done, then browsers will see your notice [i.e., 'this piece has been revised--please read/comment'], even though it's not in the title itself...

10. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

I am fully aware, but....
    I'm over it.

I don't think I would be satisfied unless there was a title change or a revision thread.
    Not a big deal though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.