1. marcusl

marcusl Member

Special styles for special situations

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by marcusl, Oct 28, 2009.

I remember a writer who once advised people to reserve special writing styles for special situations. However, the writer didn't elaborate on this. This sounds like a good idea. You know, save the best for when it counts. Yet, I can't think of how this could be done. Well, I brainstormed for a bit, but didn't come up with any good tactics. Monologue, rhyming, etc. These could be dangerous if not executed properly.

Has anyone got any tips on this? Could you recommend any authors who are skilled at applying a unique style when the situation calls for it?

Thank you.

2. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

It could be something like describing hectic action sequences in quick, brief sentences, only describing the most basic impressions the character has under stress. As if you were under a similar stress while writing it, hopefully making the reader pick up on it.

I can't point to any specific examples of this one, but I think it's common.

3. architectus

architectus Banned

Koontz turns on his serious style during a tense scene, but turns on his comedic style during a light scene.

You don't really notice it because it fits the scene.

4. Fox Favinger

Fox Favinger Contributing Member

In my current novel every chapter starts out with a piece of a monologue from the MC. It's nonsensical at first but as things progress it starts making more and more sense until it becomes apart of the conclusion.

I just did this to mix things up and it gives some forshadowing without making things cheesy.