1. NahaniDawg

NahaniDawg New Member

Main Character Name?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by NahaniDawg, Aug 13, 2012.

So I'm writing a new story about a 17 year old girl who live's with her alcoholic mother and her Mom's abusive boyfriend. I have the plot written out and the names of almost all the other characters except the girl. Any suggestions? I want it to be a simple name and not too long or hard to pronounce. Help Me!

Edit: I'm kinda looking for something sweet and innocent... I also need a name for the main male character who is also her age and eventually become her boyfriend... any suggestions? :D I like a ton of the suggestions so far. haha I also don't have a title for the story itself.. :/ I suck at thinking up titles and names, can you tell? haha

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Have you tried baby name websites? There's loads and loads of variety there.

3. introspect

introspect New Member

what about "candy" or "candice?"

Sweet like candy but abused by the bitter sweet taste of life.

I love how ya'll Americans say "C-A-N-D-Y" instead of sweets lol

Mom, I want some C-A-N-D-Y :)

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Your plot reminds me of an old 80's song - Luka.
    Always loved that name.

It's hard to suggest a name for a character because it all depends on what
    image you're trying to portray. Is she ethnic, strong-willed, quiet, girlie?
    Old movie star names have come back into style - Ida , Ava , Louise ,
    Kara , Lavinia, Kay, Angela.

Sometimes I go to Imdb go to my favorite actor/actress and
    jot down the list of characters they played to
    get an idea on name image. It's interesting - Drew Barrymore who has
    a boyish name, has actually played a lot of characters with boyish names.

5. Ferdinand&Alfonso

Ferdinand&Alfonso New Member

As for your title: My mom (who's not a writer but has read so many books that she might as well be) always says that it's best to come up with the title last, and I agree. The title is all about the big-picture theme and I don't think you can really understand the theme of any book until you're finished with it. Unless you already know everything that's going to happen, my best advice would be to wait until it's finished. I usually make up my stories as I go along anyways, so it works for me.

Ooh, other random tip. My friend likes to use phrases as her book titles. Like "Where Theres Life, There's Hope". You could try that. :)

As for names: I rarely choose what you might call "regular" names. There are no Jessicas in my books, or Roberts or Josephs. But I don't like overcomplicated names, either, and when names are too long there's the always-reliable nickname! So if ever feel one of your characters needs more than one name to sum them up for you, you can always have more than one. :) As was already suggested, you can look up baby naming websites, or (what I do) look up names from different cultures and find one that best suits your character. What I usually do is find a name whose sound I like and give it my own twist.

Some of my characters' original names:

ArMyey, Abnesco, Sib, Cycel, Margarette (Mar-gar-ay, yeah, it's French-ish, where all the names have unecessary silent letters, I guess I was in the mood, haha. She goes by Minnie), Byn, Arbate, Vignare, Dezre, Lamry, Orthelle, Hibiki, Yuey, Hadden, Bao.

Hope I helped! Reading name lists always gets the creative juices flowing for me. Good luck!

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I'm sorry, but it just sounds like you're being lazy. Come up with your own name! I mean, it's not even like you need a fantasy name, or have any cultural or thematic restrictions on what name to choose. Which names sound sweetest to you? Narrow it down to 3 and then come back with your own suggestions if you still need help, but you shouldn't just ask us to create a name for you.

7. hrdoyle3

hrdoyle3 New Member

Abagail nn Abby
    Clare
    Alice
    Lucy
    Paige

Cole
    Collin
    Logan
    Sawyer
    Noah
    Ryan

Just a few suggestions...

8. Walshy1595

Walshy1595 New Member

That's what I usually do, unless a name I really like just comes to me. I know you already know this, but make sure you pick a name that you like. It'll make writing the story that much easier when you don't cringe every time you see your main character's name.