1. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Multi-part story, first time author

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by naturemage, Jun 16, 2012.

So, I have been stuck in the cave of RPG lately, and figured that since I'm ACTUALLY working on my current project, I'd jump back in and deal with some things I'm thinking about.

My first problem that comes to mind: Will agents take a multi-part story seriously? The project I'm working on is fantasy fiction, and I'm planning on it having 3 parts (but not three separate books or stories). It is one of those books that you get part 1, and then it ends, then you go on to part 2, which is a few months/years later, and it picks up where part 1 left off. That's how I'm planning my project.

Like I said, it's not a series, but it could be taken as one, sort of. All the same characters, the setting would be slightly different (time at least, perhaps place). It would also make the book rather long.

Don't know if anyone else has dealt with this issue, but please let me know your thoughts (or answers if you have gone through this).

2. louis1

louis1 Member

Parts are not a problem as long as they are in the same book. it's like a chapter break. I think.

Now if you've never been published, you don't want to got over 120 000 words for your first book.
    agent will like you even more if it's between 80k - 100k words.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is there a single story arc across all three parts?

4. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Yes, same story arc.

5. Cogito

That is what will hold your story together. Make sure it's strong enough to shoulder the responsibility.

6. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

So... what if I can't get it under 120k? Does that mean it's too much of a story??? I'm only on chapter 10, about 1/4 of the way through part 1 of 3, and I'm at 23k.

7. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

I understand how it could be taken as a trilogy because it sounds like a trilogy to me. How many words will each part be? You said 120k all up, so are you thinking of having it released as 3 40k parts or 3 parts at 120k each?

8. MattTheProphet

MattTheProphet New Member

If you're looking at an 80k word count for each part (which it sounds like you are) you might want to reevaluate whether or not each part can stand as its own book. If they can, it might be better off to market them as a trilogy rather than one giant volume.

9. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Sadly, it can't be a trilogy, because the essential parts of a story are not evident in each one alone. And it doesn't feel right to me either. It's just all one long story. Maybe it doesn't have to be a multi-part story, just a very long story with a big time difference between a few chapters?

10. MattTheProphet

MattTheProphet New Member

Write it the way it needs to be written. If you feel it is best in three parts packaged in one book, then do it. Keep an open mind while you're writing it though, see if there's a better way, if things can be changed to make each part a self-contained story in a larger arc, but if it can't, don't worry about it. Ultimately your story needs to be told the way it makes sense and will be best received. Nobody is saying your first book can't be massive (well okay, i think some are), but if that's how it's got to be, then that's how it's got to be. In the end it will sell better if you don't compromise its quality.

11. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

Personally I heard the more words, the more the agent will like it. As long as it isnt pages of rambling crap. I am in a similar predicament myself tbh.

12. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

It's a big project... In school, when we had to write stories, I always went above and beyond... Like, writing as many pages in my stories as all of my classmates combined. Some teachers didn't like it, others were astounded. I guess I can't help it, but I always have ideas that are BIG! I CAN NOT write short stories. I'm incapable...

13. Cogito

Sounds like a challenge to me... :)

14. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Challenge excepted you CAN write short stories!!! Stephen King once and always said that most of his stories started off being short stories. The story evolved itself with the help of the author to create the novels you have today.

It does not hurt to start small and write an idea. Most of my short stories are segments of big ideas that I have roaming in my head. I write them not just to reach my goal of being publish, but to practice writing in general.

Also technically a chapter in a book can be a short story lol.