1. Kratos

Kratos Contributing Member

Speech

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Kratos, Nov 15, 2008.

I have to give a speech in English class on Monday about one of my favorite songs, and why it is my favorite. It has to be about 4:00 minutes long. But I've never written or given a speech before. I have no idea about what to do. I'm writing the speech on the song Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Does anyone have any advice on writing a speech? How do you speak well in front of crowds. How long would a 4 minute speech be on Word?

Thanks,

-Kratos.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For me, a three to five minute speech is about a page and a half of 12 point Arial.
    But I don't memorize it or read it directly. I highlight key words and phrases in red, so I have a one=glance reminder.

Speak clearly and slowly, and pause for a breath at the end of every sentence. Make eye contact with people in the audience, but not on any one person for more than a second or two. Speak to the farthest point in the room.

Look to http://www.toastmasters.org/ for more info.

3. Kratos

Double or single spaced?

4. marina

marina Contributing Member Contributor

And if you get really nervous giving speeches, you might memorize the whole thing and practice saying it a lot. If looking at everyone as you talk makes you nervous, you could focus on several points towards the back of the room.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I single-spaced it. But again, I didn't read it verbatim, It was notes to remind me where I was going with it all.

By all means, rehearse it and time it. That will also help ease your nervousness. However, use some of the nervousness as an energy source.

6. Dcoin

Dcoin Contributing Member

I’ll try to address your first question.

I would develop a theme for your presentation. Work around that theme by citing examples from the song. Like writing, organizing what you say is just as important as how you say it.

Good luck and don’t forget to belt out, in your best Freddi Mercury voice, at least one line from the song.

7. DarkwingSpurgeon

DarkwingSpurgeon Member

extempore man, extempore :)

8. Kratos

:confused:

9. Emerald

Emerald Contributing Member

He's telling you not to think so much and just improvise.

I agree. The most stressful thing about giving speeches, or acting in plays, for me, was remembering my lines. I'd just memorise these sounds which were semi-meaningless and spout them off. After a while I learned the art of paraphrasing...

I'd say the most important thing is to stay relaxed and in control. Imagine that you're just having a conversation with your mate -- ignore the audience.