1. AllWrite

AllWrite Member

Speed Reading

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AllWrite, Aug 24, 2011.

How many of you speed read? Do you find that you can enjoy the book the same as reading at a slower pace? Thoughts on speed reading?

2. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I find that I enjoy a book much more if I read it slowly: I pay more attention to style and the way the writer is trying to express the scene/characters, the techniques (s)he has used and I often stop to think over certain quotes (often writing down those that make me think or laugh along with a page reference).

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

When I was in high school I used to speed-read. I thought I'd learn more and better if I read really, really fast. I practiced a lot.

Now, I hate the concept. I read slowly and indulgently. I love to read aloud. I think that started when I found that a) when I speed-read, I don't remember what I read very well; and b) I discovered poetry. Poetry pretty much has to be read slowly, and I think the best of it should be read aloud. Reading poetry aloud made me realize that many good prose writers should be read aloud as well.

When I read slowly, I enjoy it much more, and it stays with me. So I learn more from it.

4. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributing Member Contributor

I prefer reading fast, out of excitement and anticipation, because usually I can't wait to know what happens next in the book.

If I want to learn and remember what happened, I have to read slowly and reread it a few times. That's more to do with my poor memory though.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I use speed reading for research. I can cover a lot of material that way, but when I find what I want, I go over it more slowly for detail.

But when I'm reading fiction, I take my time. The enjoyment is in the details, and the appreciation of the craft.

6. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

My normal reading speed is close to 1000 wpm, so in all honesty, I rarely -- if ever -- have a need to speed read. Though I do have a habit of sometimes missing things here and there, and so often I might find myself re-reading the same passage once or twice (if I liked it) to be certain I missed nothing.

But I don't really "read" anymore, per se -- I just let my eyes glide over the lines and paragraphs, pick out words and patterns and push them together into a meaningful whole. Trying to read something a bit thicker or more difficult -- such as, say, a rousing evening of Nietzsche -- and proposes a distinct challenge for me, as I suddenly find I can no longer "cheat" the reading process and instead must take it all in at a more digestible rate.

7. LaurenM

LaurenM Member

I second what Cogito said. I speed read for research to get more covered in a less amount of time, but when I'm reading fiction, I'll slow down and really absorb what I'm reading. If I particularly like a certain passage, I'll even read out loud, just because I can. :)

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributing Member Contributor

I feel incapable of reading slowly. If I think it's exciting, I'll finish most books in a day or two. I've tried reading aloud, but I alwasy stop paying attention when I do and have to reread it again...

9. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway Senior Member

Something in my big dumb head makes it impossible for me to speed read. I once read out of one of those books at the entrance of a Barnes & Noble about how to speed read. The one's that are always titled something like, "1001 Things to Know Before You Die."

Anyway, it said instead of reading line by line, back up and read it paragraph by paragraph. The book said it would take a lot of practice, and I didn't practice it too much. I don't think I'd be able to even if I did, though.

10. popsicledeath

popsicledeath Banned

I can speed read (more accurately described as academic skimming, lol), but if a fiction book lends itself to speed reading, then I just stop reading, as I find that's ends up being the biggest time saver.

11. art

art Contributing Member Contributor

What do we mean by speed reading, here? Are we talking about reading quickly and perhaps skipping stuff of not immediate interest, or about that rather particular technique of subconscious assimilation or whatever it is (that I guess we see Good Will Hunting engaged in)? The latter strikes me as a rather happy trick...but I imagine most have been talking about the former.

12. Logan | Aspire

Logan | Aspire New Member

I find speed reading to be pointless. When I read a book I like reading slow and at my own pace. This is because when I take my time I more effectively absorb the plot and therefore enjoy the book more. It also lets you have more time to realize the moral value of the story if such a thing is present in the book.

-Logan

13. NaughtyNick

NaughtyNick Member

I am a slow reader because the books I tend to favour place just as much importance on good prose as a compelling story. I want the author's artistry to lure me into the characters' world.

I am speed reading my current book as it is absolute shash. I am only reading it for research purposes. It is a rock star diary / autobiography. The author cannot write for toffee and crowbars the word "dude" into every sentence. It is hard work.

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a fairly 'fast' reader [approx. 50 pph/250 wpm], but i can't see anyone enjoying what they read if doing so at the speeds one is supposed to attain with 'speed reading' [1,000wpm!]...