Spellbound Story Hour

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JessWrite, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Tarl Elmswood

Tarl stood stunned as the blonde woman slapped Roxy. Puzzled at their behaviour he did nothing as the woman and Tina squared up. He was relieved when Tina decided not to fight and began taking Roxy inside. The woman didn't move, muttering to herself.

"No, I may be exiled but I am still queen and I deserve to assert my authority. I will not show signs of weakness."

A queen? She behaves like no queen I've ever heard of.

After a moments pause she called after the girls and caught up with them.

"Hold thy selves peasan- I mean...girls. You can not leave me here. You brought me here against my will, got me into a fight with a shadow mage. You now have to take responsibility for your insolence. Take me home or at least give me the directions to go there my self. But you can not leave me here." Her voice was stern but at least she was no longer yelling. She turned to Tina, "next time watch your words, especially when you meet mages whose powers you do not know. There are some in Exzalia who would beat you then enchant you into being their plaything. a fate truly worse then the vilest pits of hell. Give thanks to God I was not one of them." She then hurried past them.

Tarl hurried past them following the woman. He caught up to her easily, moving in front so she couldn't continue.

"I don't how things are done where you come from wench but where I am from you Do. Not. Strike. A. Child!" He said towering over her, "Queen or no queen I have no qualms with dealing with you. Now be civil."

Without another word he headed back towards Roxy and Trina. As he looked towards them another maiden stepped out of the shadows.

"Excuse me...I don't mean to intrude, but I was wondering if you could help me?"

Another maiden? They're appearing like rabbits.

Tarl approached her smiling and doing his best not to let his height intimidate her.

"Greetings small maiden. Art thou lost like the rest of us?"

2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Jonquil

Tarl approached her smiling and doing his best not to let his height intimidate her.

"Greetings small maiden. Art thou lost like the rest of us?"

Jonquil swallowed a startled squeak as she looked up at the imposing figure before her. Beau rumbled ominously, but she silenced him with a look. For all his height, he smiled and his tone kind, even if his way of speaking was a bit antiquated. Her own tremulous smile returned. "Quite a fish out of water, sir. I went through a door expecting to find the back garden and instead, I came out here. Lost seems to be an understatement, considering some of the things I've seen."

Jonquil's delicate features crumpled into an adorable scowl. "The highhanded audacity of one and the wisdom of others...It is quite out of the ordinary, I assure you."

Her smile returned, a bit rueful. "From what I've observed, ordinary at Merriweather Abbey would have most here bored to tears within a fortnight."

Jonquil cast a darkling glance at Magnolia. "Even as circumscribed as my life has been, I still know that it is wrong to strike an innocent, especially a child. I trust such an occasion will not happen again."

"Beg pardon, I'm straying from the point. Do you know where we are?"

3. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Magnolia

Even as circumscribed as my life has been, I still know that it is wrong to strike an innocent, especially a child. I trust such an occasion will not happen again."

"You are very outspoken for one so weak.Tell me, have you ever heard of the fable of the little bird taunting the grumpy dragon child? Let me tell you, it didn't end well for the bird."

she then turned to the paladin, "your self righteousness is abhorrent, If I had been killed thanks to that idiot girl I wonder if you would be so quick to come to her aid." She sneered.

"so easy to call fowl when your life is not the one in danger." She then glared at him with murderess stare. "And do not think you have frightened me, you are nothing more than a brute clad in, burnable metal."

She then turned her back to them still grumbling.

4. SocksFox

Jonquil: Dragon and Bird

"You are very outspoken for one so weak.Tell me, have you ever heard of the fable of the little bird taunting the grumpy dragon child? Let me tell you, it didn't end well for the bird."

Jonquil's temper flared, her eyes alight with a subtle fury. Her songs welled as the air around her began to whirl. In a three stepped twirl she rounded on the blonde, a tightly woven stream of air spiraling like a whip lash. Skirts flaring, Jonquil followed through with her swing, catching Magnolia upside the head with a resounding snap. The sound alone was enough to make one flinch.

"Enough..." Jonquil snapped, her dark eyes spitting sparks. "Know who is the dragon and who is the bird before you strike...Harpy." Reining in her soaring temper, she fought for control. "Keep a civil tongue in your foulsome head. You are not the only weaver here."

5. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Tina Sharp

Tina was watched several people come up to "her highness" and berate about hitting children. A satisfied smile had settled on her face and she had crossed her arms and was leaning against a bookshelf. Then the haughty queen said something about being killed by an "idiot girl," and Tina was surprised that she wasn't getting angry. She started to reliezed how tired she was then something wet rolled down the side of her face. She wiped it off. Sweat.
    Tina was in remarkable shape. A mile long run would have caused her to barely sweat. But using her abilities so many times in such a short period of time was taking it's toll. She needed to make some space inbetween her and this infuriating woman before something bad happened. "Don't suppose you could send "her highness" back to her better-than-thou-world, could you?" Tina addressed Roxy. But the look she got in return told her the idea was out of the question. Roxy was more exhausted than she was.
    Probably needs to work out more.

6. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Roxy Xalider

Roxy wiped away the remaining tears that had spilled down her face. Her head was throbbing and every screaming word that came out of someone's mouth made the sharp pain intensify. Not once in her thirteen years of life had she ever been hit. She'd been punished in other creative ways, but never disciplined physically.

Roxy touched the top of her head where a large knot was forming. She had expected there to be blood, but thankfully Magnolia hadn't hit harder. She sure had good aim for someone with bad eyesight. It was obvious that she had more strength hidden inside, she had shown slight mercy. But Roxy didn't believe she had deserved to be smacked at all! Magnolia had yelled at her saying she had tried to kill her, but that was a pure lie. If she hadn't made Voldemort disappear they all would've been in way more trouble. Roxy had saved Magnolia's life actually, and what had she gotten in return?

She flinched at the sudden sound of a snapping whip, choosing not to see the result of whatever had produced the noise. These characters were insane!

"Don't suppose you could send "her highness" back to her better-than-thou-world, could you?" Tina said next to her.

Roxy scowled. "And don't suppose you have an ice pack do you?" The tension in the air and her continued heartbeat ringing in her ears was making her grow as irritable as the others. She looked up at Tina, confusion crossing over her face as she noticed her smile. Did she think all of this was funny?!

"Why do you look like you are enjoying this? I know you're an action-packed girl and all, but this is the worst day of my life!" A few more tears escaped from her eyes while she plopped down in a nearby chair.

Pheonix likes this.
  7. Exzalia

Magnolia

Magnolia sneered, her anger was again starting to flare, She needed a way to vent her frustration. But her face was one of surprise as well, she sensed no magic in this one yet she weaved!

"Impossible..." She whispered to her self. She was an uncastable, how did she do that? It admittedly startled her. But her pride once again got in they way of such thoughts, scolded by a child? I think not!

"Get thee hence my little bird, before I soil my conscience with your blood. My mood is fowl enough to poison a demon and you are no demon." She yelled. She would have said more, but she was getting tired. Fighting the shadow mage, and contesting with all these people was taking it out of her. She panted before again turning around grumbling to her self. She couldn't keep calm.

She began to weave Furiously at no one in particular, fire and light aether flowing passed her singeing books along the way. She didn't look at them, she just weaved, and then reweaved again and again, muttering curses. Maybe this will make her feel better.

8. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Tarl Elmswood

Tarl went to Roxy and Trina as the new maiden fought with the queen. Roxy was wiping away her tears and touching a small lump that had formed on her head. It wasn't bleeding but it still looked painful. He knelt down so he could better see it.

"Hold still child." He said placing a hand over the lump.

"Mend." He whispered in the old tongue. The word spread out throw his hand healing the lump.

"The mark is gone but you still need rest. Is there anywhere we can go from here?"

9. SocksFox

Jonquil: Frayed

Jonquil's songs faded as quickly as they had swelled, leaving the fledgling more than a little startled. All the fury and iron went out of her spine as she dropped to the floor, shocked by her own hoydenish display of temper. She never lost her head, not even in the face of Taverton's accusations. But the incessant flow of venomous comments, the condemnation of the ousted queen had proved to be too much. Now it was she, Jonquil, who had acted without thinking. Shame burned banner bright in her thin cheeks as Beau piled into her lap.

The heavy warm comfort of her best friend destroyed the remnants of Jonquil's frayed control. One large tear escaped, followed by second and third...The dam broke and there was no stopping the flood. Between Aidan, Taverton, and now the mess she had landed in Jonquil was overwhelmed and for the first time in her life, didn't know which way to turn.

As unwelcome as they were, the tears brought release. Uncaring of those watching, Jonquil sobbed. The tight knot coiled above her heart eased as she soaked Beau's head and ears. The old collie didn't mind, but pressed tighter. Eventually the storm passed and Jonquil, on a watery hiccup caught her breath, and dashed away the tears.

Hunting through her pockets for a handkerchief, she sniffed. "I do beg pardon. That was out of line."

10. Exzalia

Magnolia

Magnolia looked around confused, why was she crying? She stutterd trying to find words to say.

"Hey, stop crying."

"Ok thats enough now I didn't even hit you."

"...Alright I'm sorry okay just, stop acting like...that."

Magnolia was starting to get annoyed. The silent guilt of almost harming Tina had secretly been gnawing at her conscience, inside a war raged between her pride and her guilt. Now another child was crying because of her.

I do beg pardon. That was out of line." Said the small girl.

Magnolia knelt down to her level."Oh, for the love of Exzalia if your going to confront a mage at least be sure you can win. And what is with this sudden weakness? I thought you were a dragon?" Magnolia responded almost teasingly. It was then she noticed Roxy had come in side still with a few tear marks.

"Good grief, when I was your peoples age I would wish on a passing star to have smacking be my punishment. The discipline in my kingdom is so harsh, Children would wish for something as sweet as pain." Magnolia for a moment thought back to her child hood, then shuddered a little.

"Honestly the people of this land are pathetic." she moved toward Roxy, the sudden crying of Jonquil seemed to take some of the venom out of her voice.

"Send me back will you? I grow tired of this place."

11. SocksFox

Jonquil: Crucial Flaw

Magnolia knelt down to her level."Oh, for the love of Exzalia if your going to confront a mage at least be sure you can win. And what is with this sudden weakness? I thought you were a dragon?" Magnolia responded almost teasingly.

Jonquil blew her nose with very unladylike verve and pushed Beau aside, before regaining her feet. The belated attempt at humor drew a feeble smile from the overwrought darkkin. "Tears aren't a weakness. They are a crucial flaw that make us human." She replied with a flicker of her normal sunny mien. "But so much has happened in such a short space of time...It is hard to comprehend it all. The lambasting was just the final straw."

Shamefaced, Jonquil stared at the floor. "It has been years since I lost my temper like that...When Durr finds out the fat will be in the fire." If he ever finds out, but if was never a safe horse to bet on...Briefly, her attention wandered only to be snapped back.

"Send me back will you? I grow tired of this place."

Jonquil cast a knowing glance over the shaken form of the younger girl. Even after the tall fellow had tended to her head, she remained very still. Something was definitely amiss. She was completely drained. "I don't think she can...She's too weak now." Jonquil said. "I don't think she can send any of us back even if she wanted to."

12. Exzalia

Magnolia

"Tears aren't a weakness. They are a crucial flaw that make us human."

Human flaw, this was the very thing her kingdom was trying to eradicate. Yes if humans were to reach perfection then crying would also have to go. She was beginning to doubt the idea that humans could ever become perfect. she chuckled "And now I'm thinking blasphemy against my religion." She said shaking her head.

I don't think she can...She's too weak now."

Magnolia cursed and loudly, she was getting angry again. " If your going to drag me across an entire world, throw me on top of a hostile mage, then the least you could do was provide a way back! I mean, is this some kind of joke to you?" But she had no energy to fuel her anger and all she could manage was a half hearted face palm. She looked back at Jonquil. She seemed so ashamed of her self it was almost laughable.

"If tears are crucial, then so is anger, so is hate. So stop your whining, embrace anger, embrace hatred, it will make you strong. As for tears I have shed many more in my life time than you child, trust me, they solve nothing."

13. SocksFox

Jonquil: The Strength of Tears

"If tears are crucial, then so is anger, so is hate. So stop your whining, embrace anger, embrace hatred, it will make you strong. As for tears I have shed many more in my life time than you child, trust me, they solve nothing."

Jonquil could only shake her head, tangled dark curls tumbled across her brow. What had happened to this woman? "Tears remind us that no one is perfect. Anger...Well, it can make fools of us all, but justified anger can provide courage when all hope seems lost. But hatred. Hatred is nothing but willful blindness and cowardice. It destroys lives and families and rends the very fabric of the world."

She drew a deep breath and swallowed the betraying quiver in her voice. "Hatred has driven my people into hiding. We linger now upon the brink of extinction because of utter, blind hatred. And it is because we, as a people, refuse to give into hate that we, even with our broken numbers, remain. We see where others cannot because of their rage and hate."

Dark eyes flashed as Jonquil's courage, her hope seeped back into her soul. "Hate and anger will never make me strong. But my tears...that dreaded weakness...will never fail to wash away the debris and break through the tangles barring my path. My tears are my strength, my crucial flaw...And I will fight to keep them."

Beau yipped, seemingly in agreement, his tail waving excitedly. This was the Jonquil he knew and adored.

14. JessWrite

Roxy Xalider

Roxy managed a weak smile at Tarl for healing her wound. He was a nice man, probably nicer than all of these characters put together. He had sympathy. Not only that, but he reminded her a lot of her father.

The pounding in her head had grown less, but a headache still remained. The sound of Magnolia yelling made her absentmindedly touch where her bump had been. Every word the woman spoke, made her re-live that horrible smack. She kept asking her to send her back, which to Roxy sounded more like an order, but before she could think of an answer another young woman spoke up in her defense. Her voice was sweet, calm, and comforting. But, all this talk about her weakness made Roxy feel worse.

The girl's calm reply soon backfired, as Magnolia's temper erupted like a fiery volcano. Roxy gritted her teeth, the shrill voice bringing her headache on stronger. Would the woman ever be quiet? Even for just a few seconds?

More words from the girl wished to cool the fire and Roxy listened carefully to her soothing voice.

"Hatred has driven my people into hiding. We linger now upon the brink of extinction because of utter, blind hatred. And it is because we, as a people, refuse to give into hate that we, even with our broken numbers, remain. We see where others cannot because of their rage and hate."

She had given up trying to place what book this girl came from, but it was almost like she were telling Roxy's family story. She knew all too well about the hatred her ancestors had endured. And, between the yelling, hitting, and chaos she had tried to guard her heart against the anger and hatred in the room. But, it was almost too much to bear, too hard to hold it all in.

She took a deep breath before she raised her knees to her chest. She couldn't keep this to herself anymore. She needed to vent and let it all out.

"I know hating stuff is wrong, but it's hard for me not to hate this day. I hate that I've done five spells when I barely do one a week. I hate that I had a bad day at school and the mean girls made me fall down the stairs. I hate that I came home, the only place I feel safe, and find my family gone and my home in pieces. I hate that two creepy men chased me for a mile until I had no other choice than to do a spell on them. And you know what? I HATE that after finally coming to the library, to bring you all here to help me, I get yelled at and smacked!"

Roxy yelled, letting her voice echo off the walls. But, as her voice began to fail her, she lowered it to almost a whisper, "I just want you all to help me. I don't understand why I'm being cursed like this."

Roxy laid her forehead on her knees, trying to keep her puffy eyes open. She needed rest, but she didn't want to wake up again to an endless nightmare.

Pheonix likes this.
  15. SocksFox

Jonquil: Explanations

Roxy yelled, letting her voice echo off the walls. But, as her voice began to fail her, she lowered it to almost a whisper, "I just want you all to help me. I don't understand why I'm being cursed like this."

What a brash, uncivilized period I've landed in...Jonquil thought. The pleasant, polite monotony of home was beginning to seem far more appealing. Spine straight and head high, she shoved back the dusky curls that clustering over her brow. "Enough with the yelling, the screaming. No more excuses. It is not endearing us to your cause."

The words were firm, her tone imbued with a subtle ageless steel. "An explanation, however, might." Golden fire glimmered in the depths of the young darkkin's eyes. "You owe us that much."

'In the silence the answers are found...' Over and over, Durr had told her this. Now Jonquil clung to the words as a weighted silence engulfed the room.

16. Exzalia

Magnolia is not amused

But hatred. Hatred is nothing but willful blindness and cowardice. It destroys lives and families and rends the very fabric of the world."

Magnolia chuckled at Jonquils sentiments, she pondered them for a moment then pushed them aside. No, this one has not lived long enough, she hasn't been through the intense suffering I have. She knows not of what she speaks.

"Child, you are wise for your age but. You must relize that some times, lives deserve to be destroyed! Worlds beckon to be rent. So enjoy your illusion of rainbow and flowers while you can."

Magnolia turned to Roxy, "And you. stop your whining, all this nonsense of not likeing to do spells...are you stupid? Magic is the greatest gift given to human kind, I would be happy to blast delinquents chasing me home; hell I would be happy to have a home. Your crying and mewing like a lame kitten will garner no sympathy from me." She crossed her arms, looking more tired than usual, right now all she wanted was an explanation.

"Well Roxy? give me the reason why I shouldn't of smacked you, and why I shouldn't smack you again. Because from what I can see, and I can't see much. This is just a blatant miss use of magic."

17. JessWrite

Roxy Xalider

"Enough with the yelling, the screaming. No more excuses. It is not endearing us to your cause." the girl's voice changed, holding a serious tone. She continued, "An explanation, however, might. You owe us that much."

Roxy lifted her head to see the girl looking directly at her, an unsettling stare that gave Roxy the chills. It was a look that a jury would give a murderer at court. But, why was everyone acting like she had committed a serious crime? She had done the spell with good intentions. To save her family of all reasons!

Sure, these characters were used to a different world, but she had thought they would willingly accept a new adventure. She admired them and knew these characters better than her friends. It wasn't fair that they were blaming her for wanting them to help her. Heroes were supposed to want to help the innocent and weak. Although, it was obvious they wouldn't do anything for her without a reason to.

And, with that thought, Her Highness had gone back to yelling again. Roxy wanted to plug her ears, she despised that woman's voice.

"Well Roxy? Give me the reason why I shouldn't of smacked you, and why I shouldn't smack you again. Because from what I can see, and I can't see much. This is just a blatant misuse of magic."

Roxy took a sharp intake of breath. If she didn't feel so weak, she would enjoy giving that woman a smack in return.

"Well, Your Royal Highness," Roxy mimicked, "The reason you shouldn't have smacked me is because it's not my fault that you showed up at the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn't choose you to be here. I wasn't expecting any you to show up at all...but I hoped you would. I'm completely alone and had no one to turn to. My family was taken on the account of being witches I'm sure, so I couldn't turn to the police. Instead, I brought you all here because you're my heroes. Some of you at least. Isn't that a good enough reason?"

Roxy narrowed her eyes at Magnolia even if she couldn't see it, "And, you shouldn't smack me again, because if you don't help me, you'll have to stay here. I'm the one who cast the spell that brought you here, which means I'm the only one that can put you back inside your book."

Her small body shook with anger at the woman. "Yeah, that's right, you're fictional! You are a character someone made in their imaginations and wrote about. You aren't even supposed to exist here on Earth! Good thing too, Your Majesty, because if you lived here you'd probably be marked as a lunatic and put in a insane asylum for years!"

She was no longer the sweet, quiet Roxy the girls at school teased. Instead she was acting like a spoiled little girl who wasn't getting her way. And, once this was over, if it ever would be, she'd never read the Exzalia series again.

Pheonix likes this.
  18. Exzalia

Magnolia

"And, you shouldn't smack me again, because if you don't help me, you'll have to stay here. I'm the one who cast the spell that brought you here, which means I'm the only one that can put you back inside your book."

Her small body shook with anger at the woman. "Yeah, that's right, you're fictional! You are a character someone made in their imaginations and wrote about. You aren't even supposed to exist here on Earth! Good thing too, Your Majesty, because if you lived here you'd probably be marked as a lunatic and put in a insane asylum for years!"

Not only was what she saying absolute lunacy, Roxy was now yelling at Magnolia and; on top of that threatening her. Magnolia looked as if she was about to pop a blood vessel, she could barely contain her rage. Not only was this child refusing to take responsibly, she was now making up some nonsense about Magnolia not even existing. Magnolia paused for a moment trying to interpret what that meant, Her anger tempered by confusion.

"Are you? trying to tell me that I'm from a book? you dragged me across Exzalia, with out my permission, to fill my head with nonsense! that is it!" She roared and raised her hand to strike her again this time unrestrained, she had completely lost control of her self. But, at the last moment instead of plowing Roxy into the ground, she turned and took her frustration out on a near by book case. yelling as if was trying to shatter the sky Magnolia sent a large poorly weaved fire bolt right passed Roxys' head and crashing into the old book shelf. It sounded like a grenade went of in the room, fire and ash and heat danced in the air for a brief moment.

"Don't waste my time! And don't raise your voice at me, because the last time you got me angry you ended up a weak snivelling sobbing whelp. Something tells me you don't want to do it again."

19. Love to Write

Tina Sharp

Magnolia started screaming again. This time she attacked two bookcases with fireballs. One splashing dangerously close to Tina's face.
    That's it! This crazy lady is getting out of hand. She's gonna set this whole place on fire!
    Tina dropped into her ninja stance, swung her hand with ninja-like accuracy towards the out-of-control queen's neck. It was a spot that if hit correctly could drop a sumo wrestler. She put in a charge of electricity just for good measure. The electricty however fizzled out as she went through a magical barrier of somekind, but her hand kept it's course and landed a perfect blow. The queen dropped onto the floor, in an un-lady like fashion, out cold.

Tina smiled with satisfaction as the room became peacefull again. Then she looked up at the stunned faces of those around her. "What! Don't tell me you haven't been wanting to do the same?"

20. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf New Member

Commander Aeros

The small spacecraft delicately touched down on the bright gray surface, its landing gear sending gentle rolling clouds of dust and silica floating into the infinite dark. A twisted metal sign, its retroflective lettering barely legible, read, "New Hope". The small vessel emitted a sharp inhalation as the reinforced, tempered-crystal cockpit opened and stabilized to the atmospheric pressure.

A tall, gaunt figure leaps swiftly from the cockpit to the ground. He cautiously approaches the sign, reaching out and lightly brushing a streak of dust to reveal an intricate symbol etched into its surface. A disused road passes the sign, dotting the land and continuing on for several miles. The road draws out, long and lonely, meeting the northern horizon. Silhouetted in that northern frame, against the moon-shine, a cityscape juts from the surface in the distance. The pilot quickly returns to his vessel, which he quietly powers from the surface, hovering just above the road, and roars down the disjointed remnants of highway, and towards the colony of New Hope.

He pulls softly at the controls, leading the craft to climb to the heights of the city's skyline. The vast ruins of urban sprawl, tucked into the heart of the Aitken Basin, are visible for miles in every direction, stretching up and over the steep faces of the impact crater. A static pop breaks the silence; White Fang, Spatial Traffic Control; WF-1, STC, please respond. The pilot glances toward his instrument panel, his concentration unbroken by the attempted contact. WF-1, STC, you are flying in restricted airspace, say again, you are flying in restricted airspace with a U.E.F.S.F. asset; please respond with your intentions. The man identifies a safe landing zone; between four towering buildings, in the middle of a deserted, moon-dust driven intersection. He quickly descends vertically, bringing his vessel to hovering distance above the mottled street, and lands smoothly on its disrupted surface. The still burning jets blow fine dust particles away from the craft, exposing the aged concrete ground beneath. Another transmission, this time female, bursts the radio circuit to life again. Commander! I know what you are doing; it is not safe. There have been no registered heat signatures for over a decade; Aeros, there were no survi-- The Commander de-energized his spacecraft, cutting the short the woman's plea.

Aeros stands alone on the city street as the soft, silty moon sand gently falls to a rest on his shoulders, like ashes from burning leaves. His pressed, solid black uniform blends neatly into the bleakness, lending an unnatural camouflage to his slender frame. He begins to walk down the street intently, purpose-driven and determined, and moves toward an ornate stone building. The sky is black, the city is dull, and the proximity of the stars are suffocating. The only light is that which is reflected off of the bright surface, its luminescence only staving off a small portion of the forever advancing darkness. In the bright of the atmospheric glow, Aeros' keen perception sights figures moving in the uppermost windows of the stone building. He is only 1,000 feet away now. His pace quickens as his left hand reaches into the hip-holster hidden beneath his heavyweight wool-shell long coat. He fingers the trigger of his Desert Eagle Autoloader, the standard issue sidearm of the Orbital Scout forces, only 500 feet away.

The doors of the massive building, large and wooden, carved in great detail, slowly swing outward, opening to reveal a stone hallway which quickly recedes into blackness. He is 200 feet away when his pace breaks into a jog, his left hand still buried in his coat. A figure emerges from the depths of the hallway, stopping at the threshold of the wide doorway. Aeros stops, rapidly throwing his coat back, simultaneously drawing his sidearm and acquiring his target within a fraction of a second. He squeezes the trigger, once; twice; three times. The man falls to the ground, his lifeless body tumbling down the weathered stone stairs before him. More figures emerge, running from the hall to the stairs, passing the corpse of the fallen man. The Commander breaks into a sprint, moving swiftly through the street with unexpected speed and grace. In a full rush, he reaches for the Officer's Longsword strapped tightly to his back, drawing it with his right hand, and chambering it at his side. Fifty feet away. Aeros reaches the stairs, and undeterred, bounds up the flight steps at a time. He lifts his blade, thrusting it forward toward a ragged, crazed looking human, and lifting his pistol in a rage, firing aimlessly into the small, disorganized band of men descending the steps. The sword, centimeters before its target, quivers as arcs of blue energy begin to spit from the blade. The dancing blue electricity crawls up the sword, shooting from the tang into the Commander's hands and up his arms, until his body is consumed by the splintering explosions of glowing blue light.

The attackers fall back, stumbling, clawing at the stairs, dragging themselves from the electric radius. Aeros feels an intense, molecule-disrupting vibration, and the sensation of being pulled backwards. His vision fills with blinding blue light, and in the panic and desperation, he is awash with calm...

The Commander shakes his head violently, suddenly aware of a new, harsh light. Blinking rapidly, rubbing his eyes, he stumbles attempting to regain his sight. He hears harsh shouts and protests; realizing he no longer held his weapons, he drops to the floor, reaching blindly for his longsword or pistol. Amid the screaming, Aeros felt hot blasts of air, and with his sight slowly returning, saw that the bookshelf behind which he was hidden was consumed in a fiery blaze. He heard further shouting, and the dull thud of fist to bone, an electric explosion, and finally, silence...

"What! Don't tell me you haven't been wanting to do the same?"

The Commander sees his longsword lying just feet to his right. He rolls to the sword, scooping it up, and leaps to his feet, standing before a crowd of outlandishly primitive humans. Brandishing his longsword, his immaculate ribbon bar gleaming under the harsh florescent lighting, the rich colors of his accolades sharply contrasted by the deep black of his U.E.F.S.F. uniform, he spoke. “Quietly. You,” he said, pointing to Tina, “Tell me what this is, and why I am here.” Almost surprised at the sound of his own voice, he swallowed hard, and waited patiently for a silent, simple response.

21. Exzalia

Magnolia, snores in her sleep :) and talks.

"Errrmmm...but its her birthday..." Magnolia was still out cold, but it seemed she was now dreaming, for the first time since she arrived here she smiled. "yes mother, no mother, why can't I? but..." an almost adorable snore escaped her, one would of never guessed just moments before she was like a howling banshee.

"She's my friend... low born scum." Her face suddenly had a worried look.

"I'm sorry." and with that she slept on, reliving her past, Her dreams sounded troubled.

22. Love to Write

Tina Sharp

“Quietly. You,” he said, pointing to Tina, “Tell me what this is, and why I am here.” A man with a sword and a strange looking black uniform spoke from the shadows, staring directly at her.

Another? How many of us did she pull from our worlds? "Well, thats the question of the day. You were pulled from your home by a magical spell and brought to this planet, by this little lady," she guestered to Roxy, "because she's in some sort of trouble."
    She clasped her hands as if trying to think of what next to say.
    "Um, I'm from modern day earth. It's relatively normal. This one," She pointed at Magnolia who lay mumbling at her feet, "Is some sort of annoying queen who like to burn things so I had to knock her out. Um...the rest you are gonna have to guess or ask them yourself, cause I just met them and I have no idea. I think that one is a vampire..." She pointed Julian. "But I've never met one so I'm not a 100% sure."

Tina suddenly reliezed she was rambling. Something she did when she was tired or anxious. And she was a little of both.

"So...where are you from?"

23. SocksFox

Jonquil: A Question and a Song

“Tell me what this is, and why I am here.” Almost surprised at the sound of his own voice, he swallowed hard, and waited patiently for a silent, simple response.

"That is a question we would all dearly love to have answered. If Roxy, here, would stop attempting to prove that she is possessed of more hair than wit." Jonquil replied, a small smile playing about her lips.

Shooting a speaking glance at Tina, the young darkkin grinned. "Thank you for that, by the way. My ears are no longer bleeding."

As quickly as it was born, Jonquil's grin faded, her features somber in their cast. Her eyes flashed gold, a hint that her temper was rising. "You, young lady, have yet to answer our question, but there seems to be a critical problem. She claims to want our help, but declares that we are naught but fiction. Mere words upon a page, if you will. How can a figment of imagination help anyone?"

Jonquil's smile glittered again, it bordered on feral. "If you would indulge me for a few moments, please." Beau and Belle, who had disappeared into the stacks a moment prior, now returned, Beau dragging Jonquil's heavy cloak bag and Belle with a tattered book. The aged collie laid the dusty bag at his adored mistress's feet, his tail waving.

The darkkin's glowing eyes held Roxy's gaze, while she rummaged through the contents of her bag, feeling for her violin case. It was the work of a moment to find it. As she lifted the instrument from its case a few stray sheets of music scattering across the floor. One landed at Roxy's feet. "You say we are not real..." Jonquil let the words hang, a leaded weight in the air as she tucked her violin beneath her chin and began to play.

The opening bars of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring soared into the air. Clean and sweet and clear as an angel's voice. The world stilled as Jonquil hit her stride, fingers and bow flying with an eerie grace. All the tension, the pain, and confusion that had been pressing against her heart began to lift as she played as though her very soul were aflame. Note upon haunting note, bar after bar. Not a single mistake did she make. Then softly, slowly she eased, the last refrain fading like the whisper of a ghost.

Jonquil knew she held the room. Lowering her bow, she moved to stand before Roxy, motioning toward the sheet music at her feet. "Merely a series of dots, dashes, and lines upon a page. You cannot touch the flow of the song, feel it, taste it, nor see it. Yet you know the music is real. You heard it. Why do you doubt your own senses when you can hear, see, and feel us? How are we any less real than you?"

24. Exzalia

Magnolia

"Cake, I love cake." Magnolia mumbled, she turned on her back her hand landing on Roxys' shoe. She had never looked so peaceful,
    "No...you can't do this. Tina...how dare you take my cake."

she was snoreing a little louder now and moveing more animatedly, it was clear she would be awake soon. Peices of her hair wavey hair was now on her face giveing her a rather messy but humorous look, she continued to mumble nonsense liveing through her dreams.

"I'm so scared...this place...so strange." For a moment she went silent, and then finally.

"Cake..."

25. SocksFox

Jonquil

"Cake..."

Again, a smile curled at the corners of Jonquil's mouth. "Marie Antoinette had a similar thought. Although that didn't end as well for her. She met Madame Guillotine instead of garnering beauty rest."

Smothering a laugh, she fixed her gaze on the floor. "You have to admit, she is much more amusing asleep than she ever was up right and coherent. Is it possible to keep this rendition of her?"

Glancing up, Jonquil caught Tina's eye and grinned. "Well played..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.