Spirit Club

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Kingtype, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

"Look Old Man. Can we actually do something. This is getting boring. And I'm sure we all have much better things to do."

"Very subtle" Rafael noted as he flinched somewhat at the red bolt of lightning that whizzed past him.

2. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Dawn Garnet

Taking a quick glance around the large room, Dawn went to sit in an empty seat. Her heartbeat had slowed a little, but that didn't stop her feelings of insecurity. When she hadn't followed her classmates to load the bus, she had barely gotten away from two of Claire's stalking minions. With her only safety being these kids was more than ironic, it was fate. Or just bad luck. To the ears, fate sounded better though, almost like she had a purpose in this club.

She blew a stray curl out of her eyes as she played with the zipper on her backpack. A lot of homework tonight, unfortunately. At this rate she'd probably be up until 1 am. Dawn hoped the club wouldn't cut a hole in her grades. She couldn't afford for that to happen.

Quietly she watched the guys bicker with Principal Simmons, angry Aideen waltz in, and a lightning show occur. All within five minutes. Dawn rolled her eyes. Yeah, she really fit in. Not.

Despite this, she found the other students humorous. She had never seen such a misfit bunch together, clics united. Glancing back to the grumpy teens, a smile could be seen on her innocent face. She wanted to get out of here like the rest of them, but she'd rather know what they were going to do first. They were dealing with murderers after all.

"You guys are being awfully hasty, don't you think? I mean, to want to do stuff without knowing the full story for doing...that's just stupid." Dawn said, letting her bubbly laugh echo off the walls.

3. Macaberz

"You guys are being awfully hasty, don't you think? I mean, to want to do stuff without knowing the full story for doing...that's just stupid."

Rafael glanced over his shoulder. "It's not like I am here voluntarily" he said with a weak smile. The girl in the back seemed to be very nervous. But, perhaps she was right, if they really were going to deal with a serial killer. Rafael let the thought sink in for a moment, it seemed what Mr. Simmons had offered was a wager. A wager between facing a dangerous man or letting a dangerous man face your loved ones. How very self-sacrificial of us, he thought to himself.

4. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Simmons took off his tie and tossed it the trash can. He let a smile spread across his. He paused and looked at the hole Luke made, he simply shrugged as if his head getting blown off wasn't a big deal. Simmons let out a heavy sigh. "Alright children first order of things you will be doing. Now there isn't just one killer. In fact its an entire family of them, that's how they have managed to round up so many victi-." Simmons paused "Seems there is another Spirit user near bye." He said as if it wasn't important for him to finish talking about the killers.

Daniel rolled his eyes. He was actually getting curious about the murders. But Simmons seemed to have ADD. Because he couldn't finish freaking talking. Daniel glanced at the faces around him at the mention of a another kid with powers.

5. Macaberz

Rafael raised one eyebrow at Mr. Simmons neglect for him breaking the rules in regard to wearing his hoodie. So he was truly possessed, Rafael thought to himself, interesting. He raised his other eyebrow at Mr. Simmon's remark that there was another "Spirit User" nearby. How did he know? And why was he forcing them into dealing with killers? What was the idea there? Rafael was hooked, not because he liked Mr. Creep-o but because he was curious for the man's motivations. So far they had not done anything really dangerous, perhaps it would turn out to be a prank after all...

6. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan: Limit of Pi

So, how is pi calculated? Sure, it's circumference to diameter, of if pi is irrational that means no circle has a rational circumference or diameter, so they can't be using that.

Well, Archimedes approximated pi by drawing infinitely-sided regular polygons inside and outside of a circle, although he stopped at ninety-six. But, anything that goes on for infinity can be shown by a limit. That's how e is calculated, at any rate...

I know! Circumference is basically like the perimeter of a circle, so you can represent pi as the limit of the perimeter of an infinitely-sided regular polygon! Let's give that polygon a radius of one, for calculative simplicity.

So, we have this infinitely-sided polygon, with a radius of one. To find the perimeter, I'll draw an apothem, use a fancy bit of trigonometry, and... err...

... OK, so the radius bisects the internal angle of any regular polygon. The measure of all the angles in a regular polygon is 180(n-2), with n being the number of sides. So, one of its angles would simply be 180(n-2) over n, and half of that would be 180(n-2) over 2n, which is 90(n-2) over n...

Back to the trig; the apothem and radius form a right triangle, so this should be easy. The bisected angle - let's call it A - has the measure 90(n-2) over n. The hypotenuse of the triangle is the radius, and the radius is one, so the hypotenuse is one. And, the leg directly adjacent to A is half of one of the regular polygon's sides. So, trig tells us the cosine of A equals half of the regular polygon's sides over one, and we can remove the one. So, two times the cosine of A equals the measurement of one of the regular polygon's sides...

The perimeter of the regular polygon is simply the measurement of its side times the number of sides n, so the perimeter of the polygon is n*2*cos(A), where A is 90(n-2) over n.

Because pi equals circumference over two times the radius, aka the diameter, we have to divide the perimeter by two times the radius, which is two times one, which is two. So, our new equation is n*2*cos(A), all over 2. This is simply n*cos(A). Substitute A for its corresponding equation, and...

... Yay! Pi is simply the limit as n approaches infinity of n*cos((90*(n-2))/n)! I'll have to check this on my graphing calculator later...

... Where am I, though?

Nathan had just realized he was standing in the middle of a room with a few other students, and the principal standing among them. He didn't recognize many of them, but he forgot faces easily.

"So... hi."

7. Kingtype

Daniel's head snapped towards Nathan. He didn't know the kid but he had seen him around before. He kinda reminded him of one of the kids from Revenge of The Nerds. But he was guessing that was the other kid Simmons was speaking of. "So you got powers to eh?" Daniel asked curiously

Simmons smirked "Mister Nathan, seems you found us. I was planning on contacting you later. But now that your here you might as well sit down and listen."

8. Macaberz

A kid walked in soon after Mr. Creep-o's spidey senses had started to tingle. He seemed to be rather oblivious to his surroundings and was murmuring violently to himself, something about pi. Rafael eyed him with great interest and was counting in his head how long it would take the kid to notice that everyone was looking at him.

1...2...3....4... -"Mister Nathan, seems you found us. I was planning on contacting you later. But now that your here you might as well sit down and listen."

Damnit, Mr-Creepo was spoiling the fun. Well at least he knew the kid's name now. "Hi Nathan" Rafael said, he saw Nathan's suprise at Mr. Creep-o knowing his name "yes he has been like that for a while now" Rafael explained.

9. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan

Now, to go about solving Phi-

So you got powers to eh?

Or not.

"Well, if I want to confuse someone so they leave me alone, they get confused. And I once made a mouse explode. But, I only really discovered these recently, and I haven't gotten around to testing them in a controlled environment yet." Nathan didn't seem to have any particular emotion towards the powers; he spoke blandly, as if the most interesting part of the whole thing was setting up experiments, rather than the possession of the powers themselves. The words also came out quick and slurred, as he wanted to get back to thinking as soon as possible.

Mister Nathan, seems you found us. I was planning on contacting you later. But now that your here you might as well sit down and listen.

"Contacting me? No one ever does that." Still, he sat down on a chair that was a bit away from the main group, forming the first parts of a proof in his head.

A over B equals A plus B over A, so let's make A equal one and do some cross-multiplication...

Hi Nathan. Yes he has been like that for a while now

C'mon guys, just shut up for a second.

"Really, now? That's... odd. Maybe Simmons finally snapped?

"Also, hello back. What's your name, again?"

10. JessWrite

Dawn Garnet

Simmons smirked "Mister Nathan, seems you found us. I was planning on contacting you later. But now that your here you might as well sit down and listen."

At the sound of a voice, Dawn jerked up from reading her science book secretly under the desk. Might as well get a head start on homework, she had thought.

Now she squinted to see that another kid had walked through the doorway. Nathan. She recognized him from a few classes. She had never spoken to him though; he always looked kinda out of it, like not all the way 'there'.

Ignoring her quickening heart, she casually waved at him from across the room. "Welcome to the Earth Club!"

11. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan

Welcome to the Earth Club!

"So, that's what this is? Cool. I always wanted to learn how the size of the Earth was calculated."

12. Kingtype

Daniel looked over at Dawn and pulled up a chair beside her. Then did something odd. Daniel put his arm around her. Not in a romantic manner just in a more friendly way. He the started speaking. "You know your way to shy to hang around folks like us. You should be a little more open. It ain't like this Claire chick runs your life." He said happily

Simmons frowned "Well not really an Earth Club. We are merely using that as a cover. Now if you are interested in those powers of yours you are welcomed to join. But we will be leaving shortly."

13. Macaberz

"So, that's what this is? Cool. I always wanted to learn how the size of the Earth was calculated."

"No it's not." Rafael stated, trying to show as little annoyance as possible. "That there, is not Mr. Simmons, not anymore, it's a possessed Mr. Simmons and he wants us to use our powers, and I don't mean mathematical ones, to kill a bunch of serial killers." he added. Rafael smiled at the newcomer, curious to see his reaction.

"Oh and he has threatened to kill slash mutilate everyone and all you hold dear, though I am not entirely positive what he would do to your calculator"

14. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan

That there, is not Mr. Simmons, not anymore, it's a possessed Mr. Simmons and he wants us to use our powers, and I don't mean mathematical ones, to kill a bunch of serial killers.

"Sounds easy enough. I'll learn plenty about these powers along the way, which should be fun.

"... Wait, did you mention serial kille-"

Oh and he has threatened to kill slash mutilate everyone and all you hold dear, though I am not entirely positive what he would do to your calculator

Nathan was trying his best to keep calm. What did he get himself into? "Yeah, I'm suddenly not as excited about this. We're being ordered to kill serial killers by a serial killer? Possessed Simmons, under what circumstances would you kill my family?

"The part about the calculator was pretty funny, though. Heh."

15. JessWrite

Dawn Garnet

Dawn's face grew white as she realized Nathan thought she had been serious. She had forgotten he really was the newbie.

"I hope they are only killers of plants because I hate pesticides." Dawn muttered as she looked back down at her book to ironically read about the effects of global warming. Until she felt something brush against her arm. She glanced up to see the first guy she'd talked to, his face mere inches away.

"You know your way to shy to hang around folks like us. You should be a little more open. It ain't like this Claire chick runs your life." He said happily.

Not to be rude, she didn't budge and sat there in that extremely awkward position. With eyebrows raised, Dawn looked at the guy.

"She kinda does..." Dawn said. "We go way back actually. We used to be tight. Anyway, I don't want to talk about Claire here, it's after school hours. And, uh, what's your name again?"

16. Kingtype

Daniel looked thoughtful for a moment. "The name is Daniel. I think its rather obvious why this Claire treats you the way she does. Lesbian crush." Daniel said happily. In all honesty he wouldn't be that surprised if he was right. "Or she just might be a bitch." He was likely going to be right about the latter

Simmons looked the conversations going on with interest. "I'm afraid we won't be facing killer plants Miss Dawn. In fact my dear students we shall be facing vampires. Normally when an area becomes a hot spot for nonhuman activity. The vampires are normally the first. This time we happen to be dealing a family of them." He stated

17. Macaberz

"The part about the calculator was pretty funny, though. Heh."

"Have a seat" Rafael said politely as he pulled back a chair. He felt strangely protective of Nathan, Rafael had somewhat of a weak spot for outcasts or otherwise vulnerable people.

"I'm afraid we won't be facing killer plants Miss Dawn. In fact my dear students we shall be facing vampires. Normally when an area becomes a hot spot for nonhuman activity. The vampires are normally the first. This time we happen to be dealing a family of them."

Rafael cocked his head slightly as he stared into Mr. Simmon's eyes. He did not seem to be joking.

"Serial killing vampires, a half-decent gang of teenagers in desperate need of anger management, small chance of succes: what are we waiting for?" Rafael stated, hoping that someone would get the reference.

18. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan

Have a seat

Where I'm sitting is perfectly cozy.

... Although, no one ever offered me a seat, except when they think I'm angry...

"Sure," he said, and moved over by Rafael.

"So, how's school going for you? What are your powers?

"And what's your name? I'll try my best to not forget it."

19. JessWrite

Dawn Garnet

"The name is Daniel. I think its rather obvious why this Claire treats you the way she does. Lesbian crush." Daniel said happily. "Or she just might be a bitch."

Dawn wrinkled her nose in disgust, guys had such dirty minds. "No...I already know why she hates me. Just the fact that she hasn't let go is what's confusing. I didn't mean to hurt her that bad."

Though the warning signs spoke to her, she let Daniel keep his arm around her. No guy had ever done that before, it was actually kind of sweet. She was probably the only girl in the whole school who had never had a boyfriend, but she did have a high standard.

When the word 'vampire' reached her ears, Dawn turned her attention from Daniel.

"You've gotta be joking Principal Simmons. Vampires don't exist, right?" Dawn said between nervous laughter.

20. Macaberz

"You've gotta be joking Principal Simmons. Vampires don't exist, right?"

Rafael glanced at Dawn and Daniel, "still a better love story than Twilight" he murmured under his breath.

"He seems to be perfectly serious if you ask me." Rafael said casually.

21. Kingtype

Simmons smirked. He always loved it when they said things weren't real. "Miss Dawn, you are a teen girl that can harness powers from your spirit sitting in a room with various other kids of your age group that can do the same. Not to mention your principal being used as a host to an unknown being that you seem to have very little problem with. So tell me do vampires really sound all that far fetched?" He asked with a smile

Daniel laughed at Dawn'S face. He had always wondered if those kinda thing were real. But now he was pretty positive they were. Daniel himself was much more Mulder then Scully. "Hey don't be so nervous. We got powers how bad could they be." Daniel then hopped up and looked at Rafael. "Your joke about the love story didn't really fit in this. You may want to get better at making jokes." He said in a joking voice

22. Warp Zone

Warp Zone New Member

Nathan

Your joke about the love story didn't really fit in this. You may want to get better at making jokes.

"Well, I thought it was pretty funny," Nathan muttered under his breath. The vampires scared him, though, and he considered asking his dad - an actuary - what the chances of him dying from this were. Of course, Simmons would probably kill his dad if he did that.

"What information can you give us on these vampires, Simmons? Are the legends true about killing them with a stake through the heart or sunlight, or are they completely different from the standard myths regarding them?"

23. Kingtype

Simmons looked thoughtful for a moment. "All depends which vampires your dealing with. But in this case all the normal methods should work. But with the powers you all have it shouldn't be much of a problem for you all. Think of this as a warm up for the club." Simmons paused and an evil smile appeared on his face. "You also may not enjoy were your going to find them." He stated

24. Macaberz

"You also may not enjoy were your going to find them."

"There is alot about all this" Rafael gestured towards Mr. Simmons, "that I don't enjoy."

Rafael paused for a moment. "Well, I better be off" he said, waving yet another detention card in Mr. Creep-o's face and with that he stood up. "Oh don't look at me like that, detention isn't so bad compared to what you are trying to get us into."

25. Kingtype

Simmons clapped his hands. "The sewers, the vampires are nesting in the sewers. They take what pray they have left alive there. You lot will be heading down there." He stated with a smirk

Daniel looked stunned. Now he wasn't so sure. He had never been in sewers before. But it was hard not thinking about those people that those creatures have down there. Daniel waited to see what the others would say.