1. Skyes

Skyes Member

I just found out that this name is already being used by another author

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Skyes, Apr 5, 2015.

So, as I wrote today, the main character got to the point where he received his first sword. After thinking for a bit, I came with a beautiful name: A beautiful blade named Dawn, that will help to bring a new hope of peace to the continent. There is even a small sun crest on the hilt of the sword. And I felt so happy, because the name and the sword really fits into the story.
    The problem is that, after researching, I found out that GRR Martin already uses a sword with that same name in one of his books from the Game of Thrones Series.
    Damn, that stroke deep into my heart. I was so happy about the name :(
    And now I have been researching and brainstorming for new names. I have made a list of 15+ sword names, but none match it like the first one.
    I think the sword in the book of Martin is not as famous as Sting is in Lord of the Rings, for example. It is mentioned briefly in the tale, if I am correct (I have never read his books).
    Some friends said that its really hard to be totally new in Fantasy Genres, so coincidences may happen (Like a forest named Darkwood. How original is that? But everyone uses it anyway).
    What do you guys suggest? Is there any problem if I just keep it as Dawn? Should I just forget it and choose another name?

2. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

if it is a name use it.

Skyes likes this.
  3. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

This is not a rhetorical question: what is wrong with giving your sword a name that has already been used? Do you follow the same rule with characters?

Mckk and Skyes like this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't remember the sword name from SOIAF, so hopefully it's not a big deal?

I agree that it would be problematic to call a sword Sting b/c that one was so prominent, but if it's just a minor mention, I think you're okay.

Skyes likes this.
  5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Dawn is only ever mentioned in passing as far as i can tell. Its mentioned that Ned, after killing one of its weilders, returns the blade to the owners House. Or whatever at leSt according to the wiki. I remember that particular story just not the sword.

However Dawn is a rather common name so even if the sword had played a bigger role in the series i would still suggest using the name if it fits so well.

Only a really hardcore fan would probably even remember right away. Only the idiots would accuse you of somehow stealing the name.

Although if the sword were made from a fallen star... Then you might be pushing it a tad.

But i say go with Dawn.

Skyes likes this.
  6. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I think it's the House of Dayne's sword... so yeah, probably not a huge deal.

Skyes likes this.
  7. Dinxo

Dinxo New Member

You said that the name and the sword fits well in the story so I say GO FOR IT!

When you find a name that fits YOUR story you shouldn't feel discouraged that someone else has used it before or in a similar context. The fact is the name should come from within your universe and really shouldn't be affected by the universes of others. If the name fits, then use it! :)

Also reading other people's comments it seems that the name Dawn was not a huge deal in the SOIAF anyway.

Skyes and cutecat22 like this.
  8. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

In the real world, there are countless people with the same name so it's only logical that in writing, you are going to come across the same problem. So long as you are not saying that this person/object is the same person/object from another story, then there's no problem.

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet ...

If you still feel the need to change it, then think of another name that perhaps, would convey the same meaning.

Skyes likes this.
  9. Void

Void Senior Member

I've read every single book from ASoIAF and have absolutely no recollection of any sword named Dawn. Going by what others have said in this thread, it features in on of the many tales that mostly serve as world building, and in my opinion, are so frequent that most of them exit my head within a few pages. If we were talking about a sword name that was either extremely unique and specific, or extremely famous, then you would have a problem. But, as it stands, we are talking about a sword only briefly mentioned that is named after a time of day (and let's face it, swords with dawn, dusk, light, dark, morning, night, day etc in their name are not exactly a new concept).

All in all, there is exactly zero problem with calling your sword Dawn.

Skyes likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I think my username is a case in point. It's a made-up name from LoTR, and for anybody else to use it would be a fairly obvious rip-off.

But Dawn? It's another word for morning. Even more well-known sword names from GoT (e.g. Aya's sword "Needle" or Brianne's sword "Oath-Keeper" aren't copyright GRRM. As long as the name is appropriate to YOUR story, go for it.

Skyes likes this.
  11. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

If it's named Dawn because if the time of day, consider 'Sunrise'.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Skyes and Dinxo like this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, I'd be careful calling a sword 'Sting' or 'Excalibur' or something really famous. But I think you'll get away with this one, as long as your story isn't anything like Game of Thrones.

Skyes likes this.
  13. Skyes

Skyes Member

Thank you very much guys. You have no idea how much you have helped me. This was tormenting me so much that I couldn't sleep. Really!
    Thank you very much again, I owe you all a lot! I love you all ♥

cutecat22 likes this.
  14. Skyes

Skyes Member

Well, I have no problem in giving my characters names that already exist. Actually, I even try to make appologies to famous actors by giving some of my character's names based on theirs (for example, I have a character named Rosencrantz, a homage to Hamlet).

But regarding the sword, I was uncomfortable because my story is also a medieval fantasy with some political conflicts between the realms, wich could resemble GoT.

15. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Names aren't exactly copyright. So long as your sword isn't exactly like the sword in another piece, then what's wrong with using it? As others said, as long as the name isn't famous/well-known (ie, a lightsaber, Excalibur, USS Enterprise) then you should be fine. :) Besides, swords named after celestial bodies/phenomena or the four classical elements is pretty common in fantasy.

If anything else, you can always use the trusty CTRL+F and Find/Replace to alter the name. After you've finished the first draft, of course. :D

Skyes likes this.
  16. Skyes

Skyes Member

Yes, thats true and aways helpful, haha. Thanks :)

Link the Writer likes this.