1. Ferret

Ferret Contributing Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.

SS Comp winner

Discussion in 'Bi-Weekly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Ferret, Jun 13, 2007.

My Dream, by Heather. http://www.writingforums.org/showpost.php?p=43094&postcount=11
    Congratulations.

My Dream :)

717 words
    I sat on a cloud of the deepest blue, watching the orange sun fade to black as it hid behind the hills. The sky brimmed with stars, and a moon, no, two moons, shone into the night. I smiled at the darkness as it enveloped me. Instead of feeling scared, which I normally do once darkness falls, I felt warm, and comforted by a strong sense of protection. Jumping up from my perch, I sprang from the cloud and, instead of falling, found myself soaring through the air like an eagle. I could see for miles and miles, little cottages with burning gas lamps in the windows and a windmill nearly a thousand years old spinning gently, although there was little wind. Rising higher and higher I was back among the clouds, stretching my arms out to touch the balls of motionless fluff. They looked so real and solid, and yet when my hand grasped it, the clouds would disappear in wisps of white smoke. I laughed, a loud and joyous laugh that echoed throughout the landscape, moving rocks in the hills and disturbing people asleep below me.

When I next emerged from the comfort of the clouds I saw a bright city that was bustling with life not far below. Lights shone up into the sky and cars as small as ants whizzed down the maze like streets that ran like rivers through the buildings. And the buildings, some so tall that they nearly reached me, who was still flying. Deciding that I was bored of being so high up, and my cheeks stinging from the icy air on my face, I slowly descended towards the top of a building.

Suddenly, I was a helicopter, my blades spinning fast above my head. I landed on the helicopter zone on top of a big building. Stopping my blades and folding them back into my head, I looked for a door that would lead inside, for I was getting quite cold and wished to warm up. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a small pink doorway, just big enough for me to enter at a crawl. Bending down to fit, I opened the door and peered down what seemed to be a long corridor painted the colours of the rainbow. Crouching even further down, I set to make haste down the passageway, closing the little door behind me so that the cold could not follow. Having crawled for at least ten minutes I was as warm as toast, but no closer to the end of the tunnel. Panicking, I looked back to see that the door in which I had entered by was miles away, and the door that I was crawling to was just as far. Lying down flat on my belly, tears began to seep out from the corners of my eyes, landing with a splash on the warm floor below me.

After minutes of crying I noticed that water was tickling my chin. Looking around I wondered where the water was coming from, and I saw that there was a leak in the wall to my left. Ice cold water was dribbling from a crack in an orange stripe, and the gap was getting increasingly bigger. Panicking once more, I began crawling again, shuffling my elbows along the corridor. Behind me I heard a CRASH, and felt water surging along the passage. Before I had time to look back, a tide of water had swept me from the ground and had me soaring down the tunnel. For minutes I was carried by the current, crashing against the walls and choking many times having swallowed mouthfuls of water. The last thing I saw was the coloured corridor, flooded with rushing water, before I smacked my head of the ceiling and fell unconscious.

After a long time of black I awoke to my bedroom. My head was throbbing and my duvet was thrown across the floor at the other side of the room. Slowly sitting up, I looked in the mirror at my sleep stricken face and rubbed my eyes. Last nights make-up smeared down my cheeks. Smiling to myself as I remembered the night’s adventure, I jumped from bed and ran to the bathroom, making it just in time before my bladder burst.

2. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Congratulations Heather.
    Your story was really good.

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

Well done. :p

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

Well done, best piece won - though I should be entering the next one so you'll have some real competition then :)

5. *water*sprite*

*water*sprite* Member

Yay :D Heather!
    Congrats, I loved your peice. :)

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

thanks a million everyone, and water sprie and cogito your peices were both excelent :) and lol Gannon, looks like i might have to watch my back :)
    thanks everyone
    Heather

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Congratulations, Heather! Excellent entry!

8. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Congradualtions Heather, very well done and a very enjoyable read too.
    Well done to yuo all, they were all enjoyable :)

~Torana

9. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

thanks a lot :) i am glad you liked it. and once again, excellent peices everyone else too :)
    Heather