1. magarica

magarica New Member

Writing in the health market question!

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by magarica, Jan 20, 2016.

Hey,

for the past 5 years, I have studied; health, psychology, cancer, neuroscience etc. My question is, can I write about stuff that I've learned and researched without a need for any certification of any kind? are they any laws that says that i cant write about certain stuff? trying to get answers for months now. :confused::cool::)

2. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

I think as long as you have a disclaimer saying that the readers should not self diagnose based on the book, take any of it as 100% truth, or treat themselves based on the contents of the book, you should be fine. Just say that it was just written for entertainment/educational purposes only and that if you have questions about your own health, to seek your licensed physician.

Plus, it probably wouldn't hurt to have your credentials somewhere as well.

3. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

What are you trying to write? Advice? Documentary? Textbook?

Can't really give a definitive answer until you give more details on what you want to write with the knowledge you have.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. There are no laws that I'm aware of which prohibit anyone from writing about medicine be it giving good or bad advice or promoting good or bad medicine.

The law only comes into play when you start peddling products. Then if you are making unsupported claims you can be found guilty of fraud. Now whether that results in just having to change the wording or your product labeling, or it results in an actual conviction for fraud depends on the whole picture.

Just what is it you have in mind?

5. magarica

magarica New Member

I want to write about stuff so people understand the roots of their psychology that causes certain problems etc.
    I also want to write about health, I am working on a text that explain why we age and what nutrition we must have in order to age slower and look younger.
    I am worried about this because one thing to slow the process is oxygenating the cells, and those words sounds like only scientist use, and I am not a scientist I believe I am a researcher.

In my mind, I want to write about health but not onl what food to eat and what not, but also the roots of human psychology and personal growth.

6. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

So is it scientifically based on experiments and data or is it more like self-help or self-improvement?

Sorry if I'm not understanding.

Most people do understand what antioxidants do [fight free radicals supposedly].

7. magarica

magarica New Member

It is more scientifically based on experiments. Stuff that i learned from other scientist and psychologist form seminars etc. So i guess that it can be self help and self improvement

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  8. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

As long as you use citation of those studies to prove your points, I don't really see how that would be illegal.