1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Standards in Writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cacian, Dec 2, 2011.

Are there things/topics you won't write about?
    or
    Are you open minded anyhting goes?
    and
    Are there words/expressions you won't use?

2. Drew78

Drew78 Member

Yes, there are things I won't write about. I won't write about too much gore. I won't write fantasy really. I try not to write anything TOO character driven. I don't write mysteries or legal fiction. I don't write a lot of non-fiction.

The question might come across better as what DO you write about? We all have our preferences and we all probably have a specialty whether or not we want to admit it.

Some might disagree with me on that. What is your view?

Drew

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I can't think of any topics that would be completely off the table, no.

4. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

I don't write mystery. I just cant stand the thought pf writing a mystery story, I do ejoy reading them on occasdion though. Also, I will never allow my characters to become the normal half-invincible fantasy characters. I will have love and relationships in my writing, but not the corny or overly "mushy" kind. There's a few of my standards.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't think there's any subject matter I'd avoid for moral reasons, or even squeamishness reasons. There are some subjects I'd find difficult to write about, but I would write about them if the story required it. Child molestation, animal abuse, and extreme torture come to mind as things I'd find difficult to write about, but I wouldn't avoid them.

I suppose the stuff that I'd REALLY avoid writing about is stuff that I find boring. I could never, for example, write the kinds of stories Raymond Carver is famous for - slice-of-life stories that shine a light on ordinary human relationships in modern America. To me, that's a big yawn. I'm not good at it, and there are enough people doing it already. I lean more towards the exotic: science fiction, ancient historical fiction, etc. Anything other than the here-and-now. I get enough of the here-and-now by stepping out the front door. I want to read about, and write about, lives I cannot live, because I don't live in those times or in those places.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I'll write (basically) whatever I want to. There isn't a subject I won't touch, if there's a story in it that I want to write. I made a conscious decision a while back I'd follow wherever the story leads me, as long as I'm enjoying it or there's that passion to get the story written.

7. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

I have no problem with writing violence/ horror etc.

When it comes to humour, there's not much I wouldn't touch. I think most things are fair game. I like dark humour and that may crop up in some of my work.

I don't write anything overly cheesy, anything resembling chick-lit and haven't written much fantasy... just preference, really.

8. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributing Member Contributor

I won't write anal sex, regardless of whether it's hetero or not. I won't write homosexual characters since I wouldn't want to get them wrong. I don't/won't really write Crime or Fantasy. Other than that, I write what's necessary.

9. Boomfog

Boomfog Member

I write what I can and enjoy reading what I can't. :)

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

That sounds logical to me.
    I identify with the idea fo writing about something that is not there or that I have not experienced yet.
    I write about how things should be for example.
    I won't write functional/day today topics because that is what we hear see and talk about in the News or out with friends or family.
    I won't write DH Lawrence style for example. His book on Sons and Loves is something I would not want to read nor explore.
    In some subjects Ignorance is Bless when it comes down to reading/writing and books.
    I understand that there are topics that are best discussed with individuals or openly aired to listen and debate but I would not write a novel/story about it and sell it to my readers as something to pass time with.
    In the same way that I would not write about people'smisfortune or unhappiness to make profit out of it.
    Serious subjects are for discussions and feedback to me anyway.

11. VM80

^ Interesting how views differ. I like many genres, and that includes slice-of-life stories.

I recently read The Fortnight in September by RC Sherriff, and found the ordinariness really quite charming.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Do you think that this story would have the same effect if you had heard it on the radion or watched it on TV?

13. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

There are two fetishes I will never write about simply because I consider them nauseating. Everything else is fine.

14. agentkilljoy_v

agentkilljoy_v Member

I never write about anything that involves torture, killing, or sexually exploiting children, it turns my stomach when I hear about these things and if anyone ever did anything like this to my kids. Well let’s say there wouldn’t be much left of them. Besides that I will add in vulgarity, deviant sex, and even to a certain extent, violence.

15. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I was thinking I would write anything for the story - but then I started thinking about some of the stories I've read with a lot of kinky sex and I realized that I couldn't write that stuff. I know - "Each to their own, said the maid as she kissed the cow" but I just can't see myself writing bizarre sex. I only even read it if I'm so tired my mind is doing whirly-gigs...

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

It is true each to their own.
    I can't read kinky sex or not and I can't write it about it either.
    I would not know where to start to be honest.

17. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm open to reading pretty much anything, but writing is a different issue for me. When it comes to writing, I feel that you need to be really interested in whatever topic you're writing about. For example, I don't care for sex with animals, so chances are that I won't write about it. That's really my only limitation, but I won't say that there isn't a topic I won't write about.

18. VM80

Not sure about radio. On TV, for me it could have an effect. But then I've always enjoyed stories which show 'everyday' life, either good or bad.
    It's perhaps more of a British thing, thinking back to the 'Kitchen sink' films etc of the late 50s/ early 60s.

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I tend to switch off from watching grim mixed with comedy if you like.
    I like comedy but it does not have to be grim.
    I have just read up ''kitchen sink realism' or 'KSR' and it depicts angry young men living in desolate conditions who spend their time in grim pubs chattering politics or the lack of it.
    one would wonder where the money comes from to pay for their pub habbits.
    Are they really that desolate?
    More of I won't work attitude then working class to me.
    If you can afford to drink in pubs you can afford to get out working class mode.
    What do you like watching these kind of sitcoms ?

20. VM80

^ Well, it was just an example. I guess a modern-day example might be stuff like Eastenders, although it's debatable how 'realistic' it is. Don't watch it myself.

I prefer less grimy stuff normally, but yes, something that celebrates the ordinary can be more interesting for me than the highly-glamorous.

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have no set rules about what i will or will not write in re subject or vocabulary... i may at times decide not to write something that's proposed or requested, but not because it's on any set 'no-no' list of mine...

i do, however, have a caveat to my writing help offer... i don't help anyone with any writing that has violent content...

22. MassThinker

MassThinker Active Member

You shouldnt put a limitation of your free thinking, everything goes!