1. Lazy_writer

Lazy_writer New Member

Trouble using templates in Word 2007

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Lazy_writer, Dec 29, 2011.

I had the wonderful idea to download a manuscript template in Word 2007, problem is, I have never used a template before so was left kinda frustrated. I figured that you just start by selecting the various spots and fill in your information (name, address, title...). After that was finished, I deleted the small amount of sample text and began to write in a few paragraphs only to discover that when I hit return, I no longer had my 1/2" indent that was supposed to be set for each new paragraph.

Also, wondered how on each successive page, your last name and the page numbers was supposed to update?

If any one could possibly steer me in the right direction on how to get this sorted out, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my best advice is to not use a template!...

it's certainly not needed and saves no time or trouble, since all you have to do to set up your ms document is select courier 12 pt font, adjust the margins to 1" all around, set the indent arrow to .5" and center the title and by line... put the correct info [ last name / key word of title / page # ] at far right in the header and start typing!

once you have the doc settings done, save a formatted blank page to your desktop [i call mine 'blank doc'] and it's ready for you whenever you have a new ms to start on... each time you start a new one, do a 'save as' with its title and your blank doc remains blank for the next...

3. Lazy_writer

Lazy_writer New Member

I think you are right, spent more time fussing with the program than anything, but I guess what got me on this little adventure was not knowing how to do those headers etc...wanted to get writing and wanted something already set to go...lol.

Now is the 12 pt courier font preferable to say a Times Roman? Or is it just a 'tradition-of-the-typewriter' kinda thing?

4. mammamaia

tnr is too small and cramped for reading in large doses all day, every day, so that's why the larger, more open courier 12 is preferred by most agents/editors...

if you do what i said, you'll always have a blank doc 'already set to go'...

5. Lazy_writer

Lazy_writer New Member

Thanks mama...I invested a bit of time playing with Word and think I have something that may work. I made a title page document first with all the proper things on it. Then made a separate doc formated properly, and even got a basic header set up with author/title/page # happening. Was simpler than I thought! Danced around enough, now hafta write something....lol.:)

6. mammamaia

bravo!... happy writing!