Tags:
  1. Oasisfactor

Oasisfactor New Member

Starting a new Subplot in One Chapter

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Oasisfactor, Dec 12, 2013.

I'm writing the third chapter in my novel and I am unsure on the proper way to structure this.

I could cut to another chapter but I don't want to do it that way. I prefer if it remains in one chapter.

The chapter involves the main character infiltrating an enemy station in outer space. For awhile I follow the main character until he comes across the person he is supposed to spy on. From that point, I want to cut to the man being spied on and start a new subplot with him. How do I structure this? Start a new paragraph directly below the previous one?

OR

I notice in novels when characters and settings change the author will drop down a few spaces to indicate to the reader that they are in another setting, new characters and beginning a new subplot. Do I do that?

Essentially what I want to know is, when your changing the perspective from one character to another to start a new subplot and don't want to cut to a new chapter, how do you structure it?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

What you're talking about is a scene break.

Those are appropriate when switching POVs or settings, or advancing time within a chapter.

In a manuscript they're often denoted with a # centered on a line by itself, between the scenes.

When published, often it is just a blank line or two break. Sometimes there is a small symbol, especially with magazines/ezines with short stories.

3. Oasisfactor

Oasisfactor New Member