Tags:
  1. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Falling From the Sky!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Christoph, Oct 26, 2008.

Introduction threads seem to be in style these days, so I might as well jump on the metaphorical (and possibly metaphysical?) bandwagon.

I’m Christoph – it’s sort of my thing on every forum I’ve ever been to. Perhaps this stems from some secret desire to become famous on the internet. Or maybe I’m just too lazy and uncreative to think up new ones. You be the judge.

I live in Upstate New York, where I typically get buried in snow from November to April. I greatly enjoy muffins, swords, bacon, jazz and classical music, eati--I MEAN, petting kittens, the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy audio series, and babbling on senselessly about nothing. I also read quite a few webcomics, mainly because I can’t draw at all. I write often, probably to compensate for my thorough lack of artistic ability.

I also make cookies.

2. Ennui

Ennui New Member

Significant life thee have,and welcome to the expertise writing forums.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Christoph, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

I spent an eternity in Syracuse one year, and grew up in the Catskills, so I know what you mean about hunkering down throughout the winter.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Thank you for the welcome. It all seems like fairly standard stuff for forum conduct. And I have yet to actually post anything of mine for review, though I have written a review already. I hadn't even noticed that was a rule here; it just seemed like the polite thing to do. ;)

5. Sato Ayako

Sato Ayako New Member

Hiya, Christoph! I hope you hang around. Most people are really friendly around here.

Excuse me while I foam at the mouth. There's an AUDIO series? I loved the book.

6. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Indeed! It's awesome, and very British. The first two seasons are public domain, too, and you should be able to find them on the internet.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I used to have cassettes of the Hitchhiker's Guide radio shows. It;s amazing how little the recent movie differs from those tapes from decades earlier. Many things were updated, but it's uncanny how many parts sound exactly the same.

8. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Hello! :)

9. Christoph

Christoph New Member

I actually didn't care much for the movie at all. It seemed that a lot of the spiffy subtle humor that made me love the audio series was lost or poorly delivered. :(

10. misaditas

misaditas New Member

Hiya Christoph!

I have to ask because I immediately thought of it the second I read the thread title - do you like Counting Crows or is reference accidental?

Ha! Me too. I love drawing and painting, but I suck badly. I could possibly improve if I practised but I don't have the patience to.

And anyone that can bake cookies rates highly in my book ;)

11. Christoph

Christoph New Member

I'm not hugely into Counting Crows, no. The reference was more a crack at the favored method of introducing new characters in tabletop RPGs -- IE, how they just appear for no apparent reason as though they fell from the sky. In fact, I've actually brought a new character into a game once by literally having him fall from the sky. It was quite epic.

12. misaditas

misaditas New Member

Ah. Well that's that question asked :D

But falling from the sky is a very cool entrance. Though possibly deadly, depending on the distance fallen.

13. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Indeed. I enjoy taking that and actually making it into a real back story.