1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan Contributing Member

Starting the Engine

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Crazy Ivan, Jan 21, 2008.

There's a series that I'm writing that has had much time, energy, and excitement invested into it. I've plotted the whole thing out, something I've never been able to do for any other project before. I know what's going to happen, and I'm already a good way into the series.
    Except now I'm starting the latest installment, and I've hit a bump: How do you clue the audience back in to what's been happening without scaring them away via boredom? The series is an action-packed kind of thing, so I already know how the story begins (trolls attacking a light rail train). But how do I get around to that while trying to keep readers updated?
    Writing isn't like TV. You can't say "Previously, on..." and then show a nice little clip show. You've got to keep the readers going.
    Any ideas?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You can have a synopsis prior to the first chapter of the new installment. Those who have read the previous installments can skip it, but those entering late in the series get the information they need in order to understand what is happening. See Tolkein's The Two Towers and The Return of the King for examples.