1. shakespear57

shakespear57 Member

Starting to write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by shakespear57, Jan 2, 2013.

I've been building up my plot, writing it down and letting it take me where i didn't originally plan for it to, and it's so far working well. But it's not a novel yet, not even close. In all honesty it's nothing more than a rough plan. I do this for most of my stories, come up with ideas and write them down, create a whole working plot for a novel, but when i get to actually writing it, it's very hard. How do i start to put my plans and storylines into action? And where is the best place to start them?

Help needed !

Thanks in advance xx

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Don't overwhelm yourself with the big picture. Write chapters at a time and go back and rework things as you need to.

3. Hambone

Hambone Member

Just write! I always keep in mind that my first draft is for my eyes only, so I am not embarrassed by what I put down. I can clean it up and edit it later. It sounds like your plan up to this point is working for you, keep going!

4. TimHarris

TimHarris Senior Member

I just start writing, and try to keep track of the different unsolved plot threads and characters in a spread sheet. It's possibly not the best way of doing it, but it works well for me. For example, I will make a spreadsheet, and have the layout like this:

Summary: A zookeeper, his robotic monkey, and a painter with daddy issues goes looking for a golden watch, while preventing the end of the world.

Chapter____Plot Thread______________________________________________Solved?Y/N

1_________Mike accidentally lose his fathers golden watch________________No
    1_________Mike e-mail his girlfriend about the green men in the attic________Yes, Chapter 5
    2_________Andrew is fired from his job at the zoo, and lets all the bulls out
    __________,starting a chain even that will bring about the next apocalypse___No, planned for ending

Dont know if it makes much sense, but I just keep writing as best as I can, and if I make a new plot thread, I will add it to the list, and mark it as unsolved. Then occasionally I will browse through the list again to see if I have solved any plot points, of if I have missed any. As I said, this might not work for everyone, but it works pretty well for me.

Edit: The most important idea is that you sit down and do the writing. I have the feeling a lot of writers spend obscene amounts of time on finding a good way of organizing their work, while neglecting to actually write, which is the only way of getting stuff done.

5. WriterOfGarnia

WriterOfGarnia Member

That is the exact same thing I am going through! Making the actual content and filling up the empty space in between plot points is something that I find super difficult. So far I have only managed to make up the plot and then i occasionally just like you, write down ideas as i make them up and then I also write a great deal of dialogue.

6. Pundemic

Pundemic Member

I've pretty much just started writing my first serious story a few weeks ago myself. I stopped worrying about getting everything down before starting, and just went for it with a rough idea in my head. As I come to each chapter I just write whatever comes into my head in short segments, then come back to it over and over again revising it.

Basically, have a plan but don't worry too much about it.