1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

Staying focused - setting goals

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Daniel, Jun 30, 2006.

How do you personally set goals and stay focused when writing, espeically when writting long-term fiction? What do you do, and how do you do it?

I find myself struggling to have the time and motivation to actually write, though I really love to write.... if that makes sense.

What do you do, and what are some of your techniques?

2. Hylo

Hylo New Member

I think the "Butt In Seat" technique has to be the best. Just set aside an hour or whatever you can spare every day and sit down and write. Setting targets, say 5000 words this week or 30,000 words this month can seem daunting until you break it down into smaller, more manageable chunks.

3. smebro

smebro New Member

I try to sit and type, but am always compelled at a major turning point to turn away, leave it there for now. Then I try to stay motivated by posting in months old posts just because I need to wind down before bed. It helps to read motivational books at some point during the day, by motivational I mean things like 'the right to write' and 'on writing'. Reading stuff by Authors who have made it in their own rights gets me hitting the keys. 2,000 a night is my achievable average.
    Anyways, offto bed now. Then do it all again tommorow.

4. scottcolby

scottcolby New Member

It's tough. I try to tell myself to suck it up and just sit and write the next chapter, but that doesn't always work.

I find that watching a particularly good movie I haven't seen before or reading a really good book I haven't read before gets me motivated to bring my work to that level.

And when all that fails, a little Jack Daniels can go a long way toward greasing the old creative wheels :)

5. Verto

Verto Member

Nothing in life that is worth doing is easy, I guess the best way is just to keep at it. Keep reading regularly and of course writing.

6. kalibantre

kalibantre Member

For me? I don't set a goal, then I don't annoy myself by not achieving it.

For university (I'm studying Imaginative Writing) I plan a lot and then tend to rush my work, but with a stuctured plan it doesn't, often, go wrong.

I have to agree just telling yourself to do whatever it is you intend to for an hour is a very good idea, but writing is a labour of love and shouldn't always be pushed.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors. Founder Staff Contributor

That's true.

For myself, I find that if I don't set goals, I fall behind. So I suppose one must find the medium between.

8. kalibantre

kalibantre Member

why not try setting yourself achievable goals. I want to write several novels but I'm not going to try for many years because I know I won't succeed so I'm starting small.

make sure it's possible for you to do it time and other commitment wise..

9. Spherical Time

Spherical Time Contributing Member

I'll let you know how I do it once I've actually found a method that works for me.

One thing I know:

I can't have a working internet connection.

10. DagunZain

DagunZain Member

lol!!! That makes two of us ST!

11. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Excellent question, and this thread should actually be used more of as a regular discussion and for it not to be swallowed by future threads.

For me I take an A4 writing pad and write in it pointers or "goals" of the direction in which I want the current chapter to go (development wise). It's always in either bullet point form or short hand. Then when I get home from work and write out everything and it usually fits really nicely and rarely do I ever get stuck for ideas because I have already previously made ideas during my lunch hour.

This is all after I have done my initial research.

12. ace.1991

ace.1991 Member

I would agree with this completely...except my up-to-date work is stored online, so...

I too have problems with focusing my attention to writing. I'm so bad, I'll be lucky to write even 100 words a week most of the time.
    Having ADHD doesn't help either.