1. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Steinbeck writing Grapes of Wrath - pretty inspirational!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by minstrel, Mar 4, 2015.

Here's an article with quote from John Steinbeck's journal while he was writing The Grapes of Wrath. I find this kind of thing inspirational. I hope it is for you, too. Link.

KaTrian, DaveOlden, outsider and 2 others like this.
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing @minstrel! Definitely saving this.

I keep a physical journal at home and a digital one online. Nobody is allowed to see them but me. And I do believe it's a benefit to the artist. It's a medium to communicate with yourself without the muddiness of the mind and the garble of the inner voice. When you are unsure of a specific scene in your WIP, talk it out with yourself through the journal entry. Also, talk about techniques, tips and moments of clarity with yourself. Anything! Just talk about writing and stories and whatnot.

Like weight-loss or bodybuilding, you measure yourself every session and compare your progress with the past.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributing Member Contributor

I so agree with his "just showing up" philosophy. If I waited for some mythical muse, or when I 'found' time, or for inspiration to strike, I'd never get a damn thing written.

4. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it, @minstrel . I subscribe to Brain Pickings myself, but seem to have missed this one.

I don't feel as driven as Steinbeck did, but then I'm not trying to write as worthy a novel as he was either. I think if writing made me feel as exhausted and driven as it did him, I probably wouldn't do it.

For me, writing is a huge pleasure. Other than getting the peace (lack of constant interruption) I need to envision and write—which can be hard to come by—I don't feel cramped by it. I find it fun to recognise and correct my mistakes later on. In fact, although the feeling is different, I enjoy the editing process as much as I did the writing, and find that throwing stuff away is just as cathartic as writing it in the first place.

So what am I saying here? Probably that I'm having great fun with my writing, and I want my novel to be the best it can be, but I will never be a great writer like Steinbeck! Just a pretty good storyteller. That's my goal. Not a lofty one....

minstrel likes this.
  5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Thanks @minstrel, that was a really great and actually rather comforting read. :)

6. outsider

outsider Contributing Member Contributor

Fantastic link @minstrel. Thanks for sharing.