Stephen King and The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by TheSilverBeetle, May 24, 2016.

?

For those of you who have read Stephen King: Have you read The Dark Tower series?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. MikeyC

MikeyC Active Member

Funnily enough for the Dark Tower Series i read 'Wizard and Glass' first, and loved every second of it. (it was the only book available to me while i was on a working holiday). But not much of fan of the other Dark Tower books.

Stephen Kings books I find incredibly interesting, but never on a second read. I will come away from one of his books, elated and involved, but if i re-read any, i never finish them. For me, they are once only reads.

My favourites:

The Langoliers
    The Green Mile
    The Stand
    IT
    The Shining
    Thinner
    Insomnia
    Cujo

I remember reading he hated coming up with endings. :)

Rgds

Mikey

2. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

Wizard in Glass is a great book so I'm glad you at least liked that one :) and yeah, King isn't always so good with endings but I liked the end of the Dark Tower books (though I know there are many who disagree with that statement).

3. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

I thought it ended with the most logical way possible. It may have been unsatisfying for Roland but it made sense.

4. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

I've read three Stephen King books and the third made me put him down as an author completely; "Insomnia."

I saw The Shining & Carrie on film, but after that I've just selected other authors to read.

5. Jared Carter

Jared Carter Member

I've read all 8 Dark Tower books. It is one of my favorite book series ever. The only other Stephen King books I read were The Green Mile (the serialized version in 6 parts. Very good. The movie was a spot on adaption and also good), and The Shining. I didn't care for The Shining much, but it was still a decent book. (Haven't watched the movie but not sure if I have the stomach for horror movies.)

I hope the upcoming Dark Tower movie is a faithful adaption.