Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcello

kcello New Member

Stephen King essay help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by kcello, Apr 14, 2009.

Hi I just registered and I really need help creating a subject for my three body paragraphs. My essays focal point can be on Stephen King's major contributions, his themes in his works, or any biographical influences.

Only thing I have thought of is to include his background in the first paragraph and then find two works by him to prove the point of him being a great horror fiction writer.

Here is my thesis: "Stephen King had hard beginnings and experiences but he continuously produced works that sparked the imagination and fears of readers everywhere."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot Senior Member

Secret to essay writing: focus your thesis to a fine point.

If you know EXACTLY, EXACTLY what you're writing about, then it's a lot easier to write the essay. Right now, your thesis sounds highly ambiguous, vague, abstract (and all those big words that convey the indefinite).

Do you know which King books you're referencing? Reveal the names of the books in your thesis. For instance, if you're using The Shining, then say something like "Stephen King has struck fear in the minds of his readers through psychotic axe murders like in The Shining, and has appealed to their imaginations in such famous works as It." That's not perfect, I confess--I don't read much King--but maybe you see what I'm trying to say.

Once you got your concrete thesis, all you have to do is expand on it. Sounds obvious, but it truly helps.

Don't be afraid of revealing in your thesis what you're going to talk about.

3. kcello

kcello New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that the thesis is very open but it's the only way I could express what I am writing about while still leaving enough material available to use that cover three separate paragraphs instead of being confined to one subject.

My problem is I don't know WHAT I'm going to be discussing as the main topic for EACH of my three paragraphs. I figure after I have that done I will restate my thesis accordingly to sum up the main points of the entire essay.

My paper is about how important King is to the fantasy horror genre but I don't know how to spread this out over three separate paragraphs/points, basically.

4. Dr. Doctor

Dr. Doctor Contributing Member

Well, logically, you have read a lot of his work, right? I'd say the best way to go would be discussing one book for each paragraph and why it was important. Say, Carrie, The Shining and Pet Sematary, maybe. Or add The Stand or The Dark Tower stuff, I don't know. It's really your choice; talk about whichever have impacted you the most.

5. kcello

kcello New Member

Replying to Dr., no, I have not. I guess I made bad judgment in choosing an essay topic haha. The more I think about this paper the worse I feel. I'll just change subject and hope my teacher has mercy. Thanks guys..

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Getting help at this level is pretty much asking us to lay out your essay for you.

I'm sorry, but we will not do your homework assignments for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.