1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Writers' Blog Stole Writings

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by live2write, Feb 7, 2012.

I did not know where to put this but I feel that it fits under the General Writing section.

I was suggested by friends and coworkers that I should create a wordpress blog for my short stories and my stories I am working on.

My fear is viewers stealing my intellectual property and using my story for publishing or other forms of use. With my photography I always copyright my material and I always recommend on my website for people that want to use my images to contact me for permission. However with writing it is easy to copy and paste than ask for permission and having the fear of being denied.

How do writers protect themselves from posting their stories online and how do you prevent your intellectual property from being stolen? Also is there an advantage for publishing works on blogs?

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

As far as I know, it's impossible to stop it before it happens. Afterwards, there are things you can do, but before...

I don't know of any advantage to posting stories on a blog, other than it's out there. You lose first publishing rights, if you were considering trying to publish them in a magazine (ie, cuts down drastically the number of publications that would accept them).

3. live2write

live2write Senior Member

If I were to create a blog or display some of my work. Would it be better to post stories that I either do not have an attachment to or I feel that are not publish worthy?

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

If you just want them out there to be read, then a blog is a reasonable choice. Like I say, if you ever want to publish them with a magazine or anthology, it pushes the chances to practically nil. But frankly, I wouldn't want anything out in public that I didn't feel was my best work.

5. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

Well, umm, are you stories that amazing that loads of people are going to steal them?

An off question aside as soon as you put your name on that article and put it on the internet you are the sole owner of it. If you find out somebody has stolen your work you can sue.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you hope to have your work published for pay some day, then do NOT post it anywhere on the internet, period!

if you want to show off your writing skills, be sure to post only brief excerpts of anything you will be submitting for publication...