1. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer Member

Story Advice/Help

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by P.V. Moyer, Oct 20, 2012.

Okay, so, I've been working on the starting of a story. I recently reread it, and not sure what it classifies as, and if there's much of a market for it. As much time as I've put into it, if I don't think there's much market for it, I can use the base plot and characters for a thriller, since I believe I'm stronger suited to writing a thriller novel. I have set a goal for myself to complete NaNoWrimo, and if I decide to restart a new novel based on this one, I want it to be what I focus on.

Two young brothers witness the murder of their father in southern
    Italy. Discovering that the killer was a cop, the boys and their mother relocate to New York, but one is seperated. Fifteen years pass before they are reunited, but in dire circumstances. One of them is now an FBI agent, while the other is highly ranked in the organized crime ladder. The younger brother, the FBI agent feels for his brothers rage and instead of turning him in, works to cover up the various crimes.
    At some point, they have a falling out, and a price is set on the younger brothers head. In due time, they set up a meet to put their past behind them. As the younger brother arrives for the meet, a different agent, who had been watching them both, takes a shot at him. The older brother dives in front and sacrifices himself.
    Then a possibility of 2 endings.

Or, use the base plot of 2 brothers, going seperate ways at some point, time passes and something happens lol so on and so on.

Sorry for the long read.

So it boils down to, is there enough market, or any market for a crime/mob semi thriller, or might it be better versed as a thriller?

Thanks in advance.

2. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

There's always a market for something-depends on the buyer. As for story idea, they've all been done before, so you're take is what matters. Even my novel has been done before since it combines "A Most Dangerous Game" with "Die Hard."

Best thing to do it make it the best intro and story you can do.

3. Thromnambular

Thromnambular Member

I'd try to write something that I REALLY want to write, rather than force myself to produce something that supposedly has a market for it. I think if you love it enough, you'll find the inspiration you need to make it a success.

A combination of The Most Dangerous Game and Die Hard? I'd be all over that. Do want. :O

4. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer Member

I love the story either way it goes, I just figure in a world where it'll be hard to get a book published no matter the context, id like to give myself any advantage I can. :)

5. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

That's what I meant, there's always a market for something, just depends on how many buyers and the access to publishing houses. With the advent of e-books, whose sales are not dropping despite people crying wolf, there's a market for anything well written. However, even if one puts their story out as an e-book, which an independent author can do, it still has to be a great product in order to sell.

No magic bullets in writing I'm afraid. My novel's finished, and just going a hard copy edit, it's losing 14-23% of words per chapter, leaving me to, more then likely, add 10k to a story that finished near 100k. So, it takes a LOT of work to get one ready to put into the market, e-book or traditional. But then, I'm of the opinion a author should keep their e-book rights (amazon alone pays 70 cents on every dollar) for better profits per sale, while pursuing traditional publishing for paper.

By the way, edited and re-edited opening scenes, are my current blog posts.

6. MightyPen

MightyPen New Member

I have to agree with pretty much everything that's been said. There's always a market for something. If you believe in your own story then hopefully readers will see that and will appreciate the story for being well written. But just as Captain Kate said, there is a bit of a journey in getting yourself fully immersed in the 'market waters' so I'd say keep at it and hopefully you'll enjoy the ride!

7. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer Member

True true. Well, I do appreciate the knowledge that you have to share.
    I saw that Kate, it definitely looks like a long journey. I hope the best for yours.

I think, that what's getting me flustered and confused, as well as limiting my thinking and focus lately is that I'm thinking too much about it. Suppose I should just relax and enjoy it now before I actually have to think about the next steps.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

YES!!!

meaning what, ck? :confused: