1. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Contributing Member Reviewer

Story dreams

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Amanda_Geisler, Jul 2, 2014.

What is the strangest story type dream you've had? Was it based on anything? Did you actually write the story?

My strangest story dream actually involves me from when I was little, the dream went on for several nights in a row and I think it was loosely based on Alice in Wonderland. These children (me and two of my friends at the time) lived in this massive house by ourselves, and we had this tunnel in the backyard that led to this awesome club house sort of thing, it was part of another world by it was a hidden tunnel that the children just happened to fall into. It had no antagonist or anything, but I really enjoyed those dreams.
    I never wrote this story but I feel like I should try to create a short story from my childhood imagination. What do you all think.

Amanda

2. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

That spinning candle... enough said. It won't stop spinning in my head :dead:

But I literally had a dream last night, it was about a jealous girlfriend going on some sort of rampage when she's pretty much dating a womaniser. The guy flirts with one girl harmlessly, then the girlfriend tries to kill him. I may not including the jealous girlfriend part, but the way my dream was... portrayed was pretty entertaining so I will be including parts of my dream

But in that dream I also told my brother that the only reason why he had a job because our cousin helped him... then I heard a male version of Rebecca Black's 'Friday'... I definitely won't be including that in my story...

3. Amanda_Geisler

Oh ok, interesting dreams you have there @Annalise_Azevedo, which brother was your comment directed to, R, P or J since I'm assuming its not Lil J. Well I am considering writing this dream as a short story for a competition due on the 18th of July for young Queensland writers. It means putting my novel on hold though while I plan, write and edit it over the next two weeks, but it is only 2,500 words so is shouldn't take too long to write I just need to think up an issue for the story.

4. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

I'm referring to J - since he thought it was decent to steal my bed since he moved out now I have no bed to sleep on except for my mum's. If he were in the story, I would give him the worst luck. Like he would go to a zoo and get attacked by parrots and monkeys...

Well, I've done a fair share of short stories but they were limited to 1,000 words. 2,500 words is shorter than my chapters nowadays

5. Amanda_Geisler

Better to write it than act on it.

I know, right now I don't know if I'm capable of writing a short story I am so used to fleshing everything out, I think my shortest chapter is is about 1,500 words and my longest if about 5,000, I will probably give it a go, if I don't make it small enough, or don't finish in time I can always put it into another contest.

6. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I did actually write a scene based on my dream once - it's in the workshop, but it's pretty old. At least a year if not two years ago. I'd dreamt that there were two people struggling in a blizzard, and when one of them falls over, they brush aside the snow and see the ice underneath and find bodies trapped, face up, in the water. Eventually they make it to an castle, and it turns out the entire castle was a maze and to get to any of the rooms, first you must enter the maze. At some point they were being chased and going deeper and deeper underground. It was very much a story dream lol.

There was once I dreamt of all 3 men I've ever dated lol, including my husband. Weirdest thing ever. I dreamt that my husband was flying to Germany for business, and so I was home alone and bored, so I decided to go down to Cambridge to see Guy 1. I went to his university (he's a PhD nowadays but in my dream he was still at the same place as though he never graduated - also one of the places we'd first met). Anyway, I bumped into Guy 1 and he decided to take me for a boat ride. Around this time - maybe my conscience was trying to tell me something's wrong with this - I started worrying about my husband. I kept thinking to myself I needed to be home when he returned, because he really likes to be welcomed home after work, but I didn't know when he was due back. So I texted him and got no reply.

By this point we were on the boat - it was night with white lights everywhere. Romantic, basically. But I wouldn't let the boat staff take my phone. They wanted my phone so I don't drop it in the water but I insisted on keeping it, because I was waiting for my husband's text. He never replied. So I got off the boat and rang him. My husband picked up and started speaking - here's the scary part - speaking in exactly the same way as my second ex, let's call him Jerk. Whilst my husband was speaking like this, I suddenly saw Jerk standing there saying all the same words, as though he was the one speaking and not my husband. (at this point I'll add, my husband's in Germany, which is a weird coincidence because Jerk's German) Basically, my husband refused to tell me when he was due back. I was rather upset and decided I should go home, just in case.

Round about now, Guy 1 - the Cambridge guy - took me to a back alley where there were white blossoms all over the walls (another very romantic spot), still night, and he tells me that I should just stay the night with him. No ulterior motives, but simply that it's getting late and it'd just make more sense, because it takes me 3 hours to travel (strangely enough, that really is roughly the distance between Cambridge and where my parents live, which is where I stay when I visit). I refused, because I kept thinking I needed to be home when my husband returned.

And that's it.

I must say, I keep wondering what the dream meant, as there're so many unmistakable details from real life.

7. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Contributing Member

I have to say that my dreams fund my writing more or less continuously. I have dreamt entire stories which have made it into various flash fiction pieces, and short stories. The idea for my current WIP (Post apocalyptic novel) came from a dream, although it has morphed substantially now.

So yes, dreams are a great resource for wacky ideas, odd characters and plots.

The Beatles's song Yesterday came to Paul McCartney in a dream. He claims that he simply wrote down exactly what he remembered. I believe that.

8. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

My dreams hold very little continuity. If I have to go back somewhere and do something, the place isn't there, the people have changed, everything's evolving.

My dreams constitute what is called "bad writing".

9. daemon

daemon Contributing Member Contributor

I had a dream once where I was in a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies. A girl with kaleidoscope eyes called to me, and I answered quite slowly. I went down the river, past some yellow and green cellophane flowers that towered over my head, and saw that the girl had the sun in her eyes. But then she was gone.

So I followed her down to a bridge by a fountain where rocking horse people were eating marshmallow pies. Everyone smiled as I drifted past the incredibly tall flowers.

Newspaper taxis appeared on the shore, waiting to take me away. I climbed in the back with my head in the clouds, and I was gone.

Next thing I new, I was in a train station with Plasticine porters and looking glass ties. Suddenly, I saw the girl with kaleidoscope eyes at the turnstile.

Then I woke up just when it was getting, um, interesting. That happens a lot. It pisses me off.

10. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

Since people in my dreams have the tendency to change looks, gender, who they are if they're someone I know and even species (yep people are people one moment, cats the next) I don't take the plot of dreams to make stories I do sometimes take scenes, characters or settings from dreams to use in my writing.

It's all kind of hazy to be honest. I was with two of my friends (but which friends kept changing, like they were the same person but a different friend, it's hard to explain) and some random guy and we received this letter telling us unless we solved this riddle by sunrise on friday then the world would end but there was no riddle in the letter. We were stressing out for the next few days (it was a Wednesday night when I had the dream) and something happened and my two friends vanished (and no I didn't realize they vanished until i woke up).

On Thursday night I received this phone call from some lady with a really hoarse nightmare inducing voice. She kept told me she would give me the riddle but she also kept laughing at me. She gave me half the riddle which was something along the lines of "First royalty must...." But then my family and the dozen random friends who were in my house (and not the fdriends from earlier although some of my real life friends appeared as both types of friends) kept trying to talk to me and I couldn't hear the creepy lady on the phone. I asked her to give me a second so I could get a pen and paper and go somewhere I could hear her properly. She told me I had a minute and started counting down. When she got to ten seconds she went "10, 5, 0, you lose" and hung up. I was freaking out because I only had half of the riddle but I didn't try to find the guy or my friends until the next morning.

In the morning I was walking around the city looking for the guy and around 1pm I ran into him and it turned out he got a phone call as well and had the whole riddle. So we teamed up with my little brother and were heading towards some building. We decided to take a 'short cut' by wading through this bay and my brother was attacked by something that appeared to be a narwhal one minute and then a shark the next and then a baby killer whale and so on and his leg got bitten quite badly and he was dying and the sun was setting. I asked the guy where he was at 8am that morning and he told me. Now this is the really weird bit it was kind of like I was playing a video game except I was still me and I quit without saving, reloaded from that morning and I was able to find the guy at 9am since I remembered where he told me he'd be. This time my brother wasn't there. We never did solve it but it was all good since the universe survived.

But that's a pretty clear dream for me, normally the plot keeps changing.

NanashiNoProfile likes this.
  11. feathersinflight

feathersinflight Member

I was walking down a soot-covered street in a sooty city (in my dream I perceived it as industrial London). I ducked into this building/shack on the corner. Inside was like a gardening shed with coat hooks; I put my coat on the hook and proceeded forward. I walked through this huge, expansive, pure green garden (lots of shrubbery, some trees, crystal clear streams with little bridges to walk over them). Btw, the sky may or may not have been overcast (This was one of the memories I recorded, and I wasn't sure even then if I made it up). I was running through the garden, amazed, when I saw an old, withered woman with white/ivory hair and bright green eyes- I think she was a healer. I knew the woman, because I was delighted to see her and hugged her tightly. She was leading me outside when I passed through a clump of ferns.

Complete plot change: Just for reference, I had this dream in 7th grade. And there was this guy I liked back in 7th grade. I was presumably a squirrel in a miniature train cart on a silver train track, and I was squashed in with the guy that I liked who was a squirrel, plus this other chipmunk. The guy who I liked, we'll call him C, was in the driver's seat. He was also irresponsibly smooching the chipmunk's face off. Our train cart broke off from the rest of the train, and we went plunging down this steep part of the track like the train does in Polar Express. The two were still smooching, and I flew out of the open train window.

Yet another plot change: I woke up in the middle of this argument between what I presume were colonists and American-Indians, who were debating nonsensically in the clearing of a corn field. I was between them, sitting on a pile of purple shells or wampum. They saw me wake up and went berserk. I cheekily waved at them and disappeared.

I came to from sleeping beneath the clump of ferns. I woke up and walked more slowly through the garden. The woman found me and said that whenever I was tired of the dirtiness outside, I could come to this garden and be healed. In the periphery of my vision, I saw a small silver train track loop between two trees.

Then I woke up. I feel like the dream was really trying to tell me something, especially about that woman who I have never seen before in my life...

*The woman did later become a basis for one of my supporting characters, though :) And her personality, appearance, and proximity/relation with plants is still the same. It's funny, because I conceived her two years after having the dream. I don't really know if I explicitly recalled the dream, or unconsciously picked out some features that seemed familiar...

12. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile Member

I had three dreams earlier in the year, whilst I drawing up ideas for my story. Maybe my incessant thinking upon it brought them on, but the antagonists in my story first became apparent to me in my dreams:

1. A hunched figure was crouched in the far end of a room. It looked a lot thinner than a person, but I couldn't make out enough of it to know what it was. It appeared to be making something, dragging dirt from around it with four long spindly arms (the fact that it had four arms was not immediately bothering me). It collected the dirt into a small pile that I could see beyond it due to its ridiculously slender torso. Work done, it then reared up, and the height was turned my dream into something approaching a nightmare. It was at least twice my height, and as it stood up, light that lit up the upper section of the now really high-ceilinged room brought detail to the thing in the corner. It had a wide, oval head, that was just wider than the shoulders that formed the beginnings of the first pair of arms. Below that, the skinny body worked its way down to another, smaller set of shoulders that were home to arms equally as long. It stretched them out a little, then hung all four by its side. It looked around the room with a smile, but a smile affixed to an emotionless face. It didn't see me, and began to silently pace off out of the room, taking strides three or four times the length of something I could manage. I tried to follow it, but it slipped away too quickly.

2. This one was pretty horrible really. I was standing in a courtyard, the sun setting behind a large wall in front of me. A large tree stood to my right, along with a hut, but they provided me with no shade in my position. I thought about walking over to get out of the sun, but noticed two shapes on the wall far ahead. They were short, silhouetted by the sun. I raised my hand to my brow, intending to try and get a better look, but felt something sharp on the back of my palm as I did so. I looked at my palm to see a tiny arrow piercing it, and realised that had I not raised my hand, that arrow would be buried within my chest. I understood the situation and made an attempt to hide by feigning death, dropping into the long grass (it became long at this point, I don't remember grass before it), and crawled towards the hut which I hid behind. As the figures clambered down, I was able to hear them. They didn't make any intelligble sounds, just a series of grunts of moans, they sounded completely wretched. I peered out from behind the hut as they searched the courtyard and got a glimpse of them. They were hideous, short, missing individual facial features (one had no eyes, the other had basic slits that appeared useless. One was missing a nose). It was at this point that my dream became lucid, and I forced a knife into my hand. Probably doesn't say a lot about me really, but I *may* have slashed their throats (I had watched The Red Wedding earlier that week, before you all think too badly of me).

3. The last one was while I was on holiday, staying for one night in a horribly spooky hotel in Ballachulish (The Ballachulish, if anyone is interested). I was already a little bit wary of the room - really spacious, but with not a lot in it except for stuff around the sides. Stuff for things to hide behind. Anyway, I went to sleep with the TV one, girlfriend taking up the middle of the bed so I was one the edge. The dream came then. It was a weird sound, like the constant intake of breath. It sounded soft to begin with, but it got my attention. I opened my dream eyes and I was seeing the edge of the bed I was on. A small, rounded thing was just over the side of the bed, and seemed to be where the sound was coming from. The small grey thing began to rise, and it soon became apparent that it was a head. As it rose, the sounds became louder, and when it finally revealed its full self I was in full on nightmare! It had pitch black eye sockets (I'm not convinced there were eyes in it, just dark holes), and a skull-like nose. The mouth was partially open, and it was indeed the source of the noise. The head looked at me, head ever so slightly tilted and the sound got louder, faster. The mouth opened with it until it was wider than any human mouth could ever open. With it came a roaring cacophony, only it wasn't really roaring, this sound was still being made by the intake of air, and I was convinced it was going to draw me inside it. I just woke up at that point, and started writing it down :) Maybe I had been visited by a banshee?

Not had so many nightmarish dreams since though (March time), but they've certainly helped 3 parts of my story!

13. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

In the late 1990s, my fiancée committed suicide, and I had this returning dream where he was with me. However, not as the sweet man I knew, he was like the living dead. His appearance in my dreams didn’t scare me, but made me sad. I cried a lot back then and dreaming of him gave me a gut-wrenching loneliness that I felt.

I've never used it in one of my stories… well, wait. Maybe I did use it a bit. In my short story "Footsteps in the dark."