Tags:
  1. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

Short Film

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by missupernatural, Feb 25, 2008.

For my subject Media next year, my final year, I have to produce a short film. This includes writing the thing.

So I'm a little stuck for ideas. Well actually, it's not quite stuck, but I'm just having a hard time distinguishing a topic worthy of a story told about it.

I also have to factor in my resources. I'll pretty much have z grade actors (apology to my mates), simple locations and very little time to do it in.

Basically, I have seen films that have been so effective (despite the lack of budget) because of the script, and that's why I'm really concentrating on it now, rather than later when I'll be stressed to hell.

So, what makes a subject compelling to watch, story wise?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I think you, as a writer, have to answer that. If the theme is compelling to you, and you write from that fascination, you will create somethinhg that will appeal to others.

3. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I think I have to agree with Cog there. If you write about something, a theme, that you're passionate about or just are able to put yourself into wholeheartedly then you'll achieve something much more effective than just pulling a random topic out of nowhere.

4. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I didn't do a Media course, but as apart of my final year drama course I had to make a movie and then present it to two moderators, explaining all my decisions behind it, blah blah blah ...

Basically, you don't always need a strong theme. I can't make 'normal' films - I find them boring. So when I sat down to type the script I ventured into the goldmine of my imagination. In the end I wrote a script that made no sense, was overly weird, yet contained strong use of characterisation, in the form of a psychotic person.

People like to watch characters, if you can flesh one out both through dialogue and actions then you'll succeed. A theme isn't always necessary. In fact, in some cases it can completely ruin your chances of getting a good grade, because themes often feel forced upon the audience. The focus I took was not on story, more on the strange circumstances my character found himself in, and what led him to be there. Make the situations cohesive and allow them to string together in the end. If the audience comes away understanding the character, you'll nail good marks.

I'm not bashing, but themes have been done to death. If I were a marker, I'd be looking for originality. Some of the people in the business I've met seem to hold similar opinions, so why the hell not go for it. Do something bizarre, you may just reap the rewards.

All the best.

5. missupernatural

missupernatural New Member

This is the point I have to agree with the most. I just don't get themes. Sure, I understand them, but they are the focus of every film a Year 12 has made.

(By the way, when I say final year, I meant final year of high school which counts towards my entry into a university.)

I suppose keeping my eyes open and my ears trained is the best approach.

Final question: Is there a board on these forums to post scripts?

And for those who write scripts, check out plotbot.com. So much fun!

6. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

http://writingforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

for ideas on what kinds of things make good shorts, check out the ones here:

http://origin.www.spike.com/subchannel/shorts

love and hugs, maia

8. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I know ... and by 'people in the business' I mean moderators who are teachers the rest of the time. ;)