1. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

Story Hopping. Attention span of a fish

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ScaryPen, Oct 9, 2007.

Help!

When I get a good idea and start writing a short story, half way through I get another idea, and get so excited I leave the one I'm writing for later and start of the new one till another idea hits me. If I don't, my mind keeps going to it and I end up putting elements of the other story without realizing it (yes, I know I lack discipline:( ).

It was just annoying at first but now it's getting ridiculous as I have twelve incomplete stories lying around. What's the use of a good idea if it never gets completed?

So anyone else has this problem(I doubt, you all seem pretty much focused and disciplined)? Any ideas on how to keep focus, any writing exercises that help?
    Anything!!! This situation is getting out of hand!

2. Nadala

Nadala Banned

The story hopping and adding elements of other storys I've written to a current one, yes I do it all the time. The I get so mad with myself I just won't write anymore

*pats scarypens head* poor dear I know how it feels come over to the fire and have a cup of tea with me.

3. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

:) Thanks
    * drags a chair to fire with tea in hand*
    Nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. Was beginning to feel really really stupid.

4. Nadala

Nadala Banned

i believe it's the idea's our minds overflow with them :-D Now was that one sugar or two?

5. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

None... I have my tea without sugar :) Did ya ever manage to solve your storry hopping problem though?

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have to admit, I do this a lot too!
    It really irritates me.

7. Nadala

Nadala Banned

I write my ideas in a notebook and try and stick with what I have, sometimes if an idea doesn't work I intergrate things. Notebook is tee good

8. Lemex

^ I do that too... my personal thing that sticks out the most is when I was writing a story about a man trapped in a Nightmare I had two stories in my head for it. A man locked in a Cell room (Inspired by Alone in the Dark and Pink Floyd's The Wall) and a man trapped in a laberinth (Think Greece) instead of writing two storys, I combined them.

9. Nadala

Nadala Banned

That seems fine and may I add rather inventive. Sometimes combinations are not a bad thing.

10. ScaryPen

ScaryPen Active Member

Notebook
    Combination...
    Got it.
    Thank you both, Nadala and Lemex. Will try these.
    anyone else got any more ideas? the more, the better...
    and Lemex your story sounds very interesting.

11. Funny Bunny

Funny Bunny Contributing Member

I have 2 novels I'm working on. I'd just say, to solve your problem, put them in a stack and force yourself to finish them one after the other. Oh, I initially had 2 stories, then I combined them, then I took them apart again. Go Figure.

12. Master Attano

Master Attano Active Member

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! Arhhh! it's sooo annoying!! It's like I'll think of a good idea one day and want to write about it but by the time I feel like I'm ready another idea pops up, dragging all my attention on to that. With this happening all I ever end up doing is planning ideas out and thinking about them.

13. Lemex

... how in the hell did you even find this thread, @Master Attanp?

HelloThere and Lea`Brooks like this.
  14. Master Attano

Master Attano Active Member

Haha, I'm the Nostalgia Thread finder, dragging up your past threads one at a time!

Truthfully though, I was just scrolling threads and saw this :p

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Grave robber!

16. Awesome101

Awesome101 New Member

haha yes! I'm convinced I've nearly mastered the art. I take it as a spontaneous decision brought on by pure excitement and decide not to beat myself up about it too much.

17. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I'd say if you're serious about overcoming this problem—and it IS a definite problem if you ever plan to be a published writer—you need to focus on completing at least ONE of your 12 story starts.

Nothing to keep you from writing down other ideas in the meantime. In fact, a large storehouse will mean you've got quite a few ideas to pick from later on. But right now, I'd take what you think is your best story idea so far and focus on getting it completed. If you sit and think about that story a lot, more ideas to finish WILL come to you. Don't be afraid of ideas, just be afraid of distracting ones that lead you away from the finish and into something else altogether. If you get another distracting idea for another story, scribble down the essence of it and put it aside. But then return to your main story and continue to work on it.

Trust me, nothing is better than finishing a story. It will definitely be a 'high' for you.

Like almost anything else you do in life, it's not what you start it's what you finish that counts. How good is your dinner going to be if you start cooking it, then change your mind and start cooking something else, then change your mind and start cooking something ELSE and never finish cooking anything?

Don't think of it as discipline, if that idea scares you. Think of it as success. You will succeed if you finish. You won't if you don't.

18. HelloThere

HelloThere Contributing Member

I wonder if he ever finished his stories...