1. AWR

AWR Member

Story or Verse titles

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by AWR, Feb 10, 2008.

Sometimes I think the hardest part of writing a story or verse is finding the right title for it.

It's great if it falls out of the text but sometimes it just isn't obvious to me.
    I often feel a little "Leonardo da Quirm"-ish and the title ends up too literal.

Does anyone have the same problem?
    How do you find a good name?

... and, while we are at it, what it the most punnish name you've come up with?
    Mine would be "Designer Genes" (about genetic manipulation :rolleyes:)

2. (Mark)

(Mark) Contributing Member

I almost always name stories I write after songs. Whenever I write something, I usually listen to the same song over and over again on repeat until the story is done. Then, I name it the name of the song. It sounds silly, but it works for me.

3. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I like titles which are sudden and out of the blue. The title doesn't have to be very extravagant and full of meaning. It could be just a word, but that word should have so much force within it that one is compelled to read it. Like 'A pot'. Now, that's a stupid and meaningless title in itself, but that's what drives you to at least check the first page. A title whose concept is hidden or unusual in a good way, is sure to get the reader's attention.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For me, I usually have a "working title" when I start writing, but the majority of the time I change it after much of the piece has developed. I tend to favor one word titles or short phrases, and dislike starting a title with "A" or "The".

5. Edward

Edward Active Member

I've got a hell of a hard time figuring out a book title, but chapter titles... I use puns, playing off song, book, movie and game titles, things like that. Also allusions I have no business making. Not as bad as an episode of some seventies show, but still.

Also, perhaps it's because I grew up reading the Animorphs books, but I love titles that are "The XXXXX"

6. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Titles...i don't know. It comes spontaneously to me.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my work almost always titles itself, thankfully... and, as what i write now is philosophical, many of them are a play on words/double entendres, as you can see if you browse my site...

obvious puns such as 'designer jeans' are much used, sorry to say... that one, for instance, kicks out nearly a million and a half hits...

8. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Articles and such almost always have a lead that is determined by me.

For fiction pieces, I just have a working title (usually the first name of the main character) until the title pops out at me. But I never get too attached to them, since a publisher will almost certainly change it anyway.

9. adamant

adamant Contributing Member Contributor

Recently, I've started the majority of my titles with either "Of" or "On", then proceeded with something poetic. Otherwise, a word or phrase that incorporates the essence of the story, or the title of a song.

10. Sophronia

Sophronia Member

My book titles always have to do something with the story (obviously heh XD), and usually the title of the book is a repeated and important phrase within the story, and isn't just an obscure title.

As with chapter titles, well, I just make them up as I go along ;)