Tags:
  1. Emykei

Emykei New Member

Concept help?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Emykei, Feb 28, 2009.

Never once did I say I enjoy it. At no point did I sit back and think to myself how this was what I wanted from life, but that’s just the cookie crumbles, as the saying goes.
    How about you? Do you like your job? No, I doubt it. Everyone has their complaints. Some careers, like plumbers and trash men for instance, have more obvious reasons to dislike their occupation. Even the higher up jobs, like CEO’s and managers complain. Health-care, benefits, and so on and so fourth. I consider it my civic duty to simply cope with the hand I’ve been dealt.
    So I must kill, just one complaint among a sea of grievances.

^^^ This just popped into my head, It's supposed to be about an assassin. Thing is, I have no where to go with it, haha. I'm thinking I might talk about the struggles of going back to normal life and raising a family having the history of a retired assassin. I might do flashbacks or something. Or maybe...and this would be a lot more complicated...Have a reincarnation theme. Like my character would talk to himself and say things like above, and have flashbacks, but he would be a young boy with an average history?

Any other ideas? comments? Uhggg

2. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

How about make a link by having him kill someone in one of those other jobs and so gains an insight for further comparison...

Also, the 'cookie crumble's part sounded a little artificial but the rest sounded really good

3. Emykei

Emykei New Member

Haha, I know what you mean.

I wanted to use one of those sayings, but I couldn't come up with a better one at the moment :\

And that's a good idea, I like that.

Thank you :]

Perhaps he could have killed one of 'those occupations' and then become one later in life, therefore allowing him to understand their lifestyle? that would be difficult to cope with.

4. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

lol might be a bad example but 'The Incredibles'

Protagonist starts off saying he wanted to settle down and when he does hates the lifestyle
    While his friends and family wanted to stay but found it settling down easy.

So like the assasain hating those jobs and eventually becomes an office worker, hating it and other ex collegues have accepted their jobs but he can't and embarks on suspecting an office conspiracy allowing him to relive his youth...

5. Atari

Atari Active Member

Or he could still be an assassin, but is attempting to maintain secrecy.

6. architectus

architectus Banned

What would his goal be? What is he striving for or to achieve? Every story needs a driving force, and the driving force is what the MC(s) desire most.

This has been done before, but maybe he desires to retire, but a rich and powerful company that has hired him many times, will not let him retire. Not until he does one last job for them. This one last job means he has to do things he doesn't want to do. You can then weave his ordinary life struggles into that plot. Maybe he is starting to get glimpses into the future. At first they glimpses don't make sense. As he starts to make sense of the future, he realizes this his choices now will alter his future. If he kills these people he was hired to kill, it radically changes the future, but it also changes his next reincarnations. He doesn't like either outcome. He doesn't like the future he will help create for mankind, and he doesn't like the future he creates for his next life. Or you can remove his next life bit and just focus on he doesn't like the future he creates for mankind.

Thus he risks his life and doesn't complete the mission. This means he will have to find a way to escape this rich and powerful corporation.

7. traffic101

traffic101 New Member

Or perhaps he could be sent on a mission where he has to kill a kid or something...and while he's trying to do the job he realizes he can't...and so now he needs a career choice, but he doesn't know how to go back to a regular job...so you can write about his anger problems, etc of him trying to be a cook at McDs or something.

Good beginning, I like it.