1. Korizan

Korizan Member

story writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Korizan, Jan 4, 2015.

I have a few questions.
    1. I am writing a story, and a very important question arose. From what point of view will it be best writing one? At first I started writing from the third point of view, and then I switched to first, because I thought it was describing my main character better. That’s where I got confused. There are some parts that can be described better from the third person. How I can fix this. What’s more effective, or is there something else I can do. Thanks.

3. When writing a chapter: what does it requires? I mean, is there like a guide that tells me what needs to be included in it. I don’t really know how to explain this :(

5. When writing a story, does it need to be well detailed? I want the reader to be interested about a certain situation, so what’s more effective?

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Settling on a Pov can be tough - everyone thinks first person is more personal but it's not always. Third can be equally effective and better yet you don't always have to be present with the mc. You're freer to show other scenes and other characters. Though you can switch I pov view between characters and scenes there is a danger of not getting back to the main part of the story fast enough. I've found that in romances ( that do this ) you can loose track of certain characters.

You can browse the website Writer's Digest - they have some very informative articles. Especially if your lost about structure. Also another good way of examining how a scene flows is to pick up your favorite book ( or better yet a book that you want your book to resemble - i.e. if you're writing fantasy check out your competition ) and see what you like about the scene and jot down some notes.

Chapters usually have mini goals and snags for achieving those goals.

The bulk of detail is not as important as the precision of the details - it's like saying car vs Mercedes. One gives an impression of status and wealth the other is primarily basic. The more your details can help shape the story and define the character & setting the less you'll need.
    If you mean interested in the situation - focus on character. Keep the character motivated to do something, give him choices, and decisions to make, give him reactions & doubts. A situation is not interesting through details except when they are filtered through the character.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

First, I only saw questions 1, 3 and 5, so I'll address those.

What POV is most effective in relating the story to the reader? You can use third person limited, and write from the main character's POV most, if not all of the time. You can use a scene break or new chapter when the 'following' another character.

You say a 'story'. Short stories generally don't have chapters. They're not long enough.

If you're writing something longer, such as a novella or novel, there are no requirements for a chapter.

You would want to work description into the story/narrative, within the context of what's happening.

Korizan, really, the best thing to do would be to pick out a couple of your favorite books, preferably by different authors. It would help if they were the same genre you're hoping to write. Read and re-read and study how those authors did it...how did they effectively use POV, how did they structure their chapters? What did they include, what didn't they include, how did the chapters vary...within the same novel, between different novels and authors? How did they incorporate description, how much and when? How did POV affect how description was incorporated.

Mark pages or take notes, especially for relevant examples. Then, return to your story and apply what you learned. Use the techniques observed, modified or adjusted to your writing style and the story you're trying to tell.

I know it takes time, but really, I don't believe there are any short/easy answers to your questions. Once you have the basics of those skills mastered, you'll continue to improve as you write. Don't worry if your first draft isn't perfect as you write. You're going to have to revise and edit multiple times anyway. If it's a novel you're writing, I strongly suspect you'll see that from chapter one to the last chapter, your writing skill has improved.

Good luck as you move forward.

4. Nicoel

Nicoel Contributing Member

The contrast between first and third person is very confusing for me! I always go with the first person, because that way I can keep it straight. Have you ever thought about changing it every chapter? There are many books with a chapter written from CharacterX's perspective, then the next chapter is from CharacterY's perspective. I'm not sure how well it could work, but possibly you could balance the chapters by perspectives such as every other chapter be in first person?

A simple story does not have chapters, as another person pointed out. However, if it's much longer such as a novel or novella, it will have chapters as a way to sort it out. Every authors chapter is individual. Some of them are very very short (such as 2 pages, or even 1 page). Some of them could be multiple pages long. Some may define their chapters by who's perspective it is being written to. It's all up to you and your individual preferences.

Detail is definitely important! Just don't make it boring. Have enough detail that your reader can see the room clearly in their mind, but not so detailed they know exactly how many dust motes are floating by the window! The level of detail could also determine what you're trying to write - a story, novella, or novel (listed in increasing level of detail).

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributing Member Contributor

1. My WIP is written about two interlinked characters. Character A (present-day) is narrated in first person, because he is mostly reporting what he sees, feels, does. Character B (past) is narrated third person, because there is more action, and I think that I'm going to need to follow character C at times. It will also (in my mind) make it easier to differentiate between the two time periods.