Style Straight forward writing vs. 'flowery' writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Lewdog, Aug 8, 2015.

1. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

What I like to read is effective prose that hooks me and helps me imagine something very clearly.

Orwell idealized a certain style of prose that I have heard compared (not by Orwell) to a clear window, in contrast to a stained glass window. He favored prose that provides a window into the author's thoughts without drawing attention to itself. This is in contrast to prose that draws attention to itself and obscures its own meaning (like how a stained glass window obscures what is behind it).

The clear window is the kind of prose I look for. I found Orwell's own books, 1984 and Animal Farm, very readable. There are some good books that do the opposite (e.g. Lolita), but those are very, very rare.

Keeping with the analogy, I would compare Hemingway's writing to a tiny peephole. The view is crystal clear, but you see such a small part of the picture that the peephole draws attention to itself in a weirdly ironic way. You realize most of the picture is being hidden from you and you strain to extrapolate what you cannot see. I find his books interesting to think about but not very enjoyable to read.

PiP and Lewdog like this.