1. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Music Production

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by The Mad Regent, Jul 13, 2015.

Just curious, is anyone into music production at all?

I've dabbled in music producing for years. Mostly focus on electronic dance music, but the process and technical side interests me a lot so I'm interested in all kinds of recording and production methods.

I haven't touched my DAW for a long time and recently got inspired to 'attempt' to produce something. I'm using Fruityloops Studio at the moment, but also have experience with Cubase, Reason, and Ableton.

2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I dabbled a bit back in 2008. Well, maybe not 'dabbled;' I was quite serious about it at the time. I recorded and produced seven or eight songs, then ended up getting a job (I was unemployed at the time, a real cliché: unemployed musician :) ). After starting work, it took up so much of my head-space I couldn't keep going with the music. Haven't done much lately. I've written, recorded and produced two songs since then (now that I'm unemployed again... er, ah... I mean: retired; yeah; that's the ticket: retired!).

I've always used Cakewalk. I keep it up to date just in case I ever feel the need to go back, but for now, I'm concentrating on writing. :)

The Mad Regent likes this.
  3. The Mad Regent

Cakewalk SONAR? I've never tried that but heard it's quite good.

I've got a soft synth from Cakewalk as well, called Z3ta. It's one of the best soft synths I've ever used -- a lot like a Virus C synthesizer.

4. Sack-a-Doo!

I've never used synths much; I'm a guitar player and had a brief fling with drums a long time ago. And I spent most of my musically-professional life as a bass player, only taking up keyboard within the last ten years or so. As a result, I never really got into synths, just guitar, bass and drums with a bit of piano to fill in the rhythm section if it was needed.

5. The Mad Regent

Cool. So what recording method did you use? Through a mic or some kind of direct input through a soundcard?

I'd love to try mixing instrumental music. I feel there would be a lot more dynamics involved, using equalizers and compressors more extensively.

6. Sack-a-Doo!

I have a Takamine electric-acoustic that I used to plug straight into the board through a Hi-Z input, but I found it actually sounds better when recorded using an AT-2020 mic. In fact, I've even recorded my Martin with the AT-2020 along side a cheap Shure mic and that gives me a nice, well-rounded sound.

For my electric guitar and bass, of course, I use the hi-z inputs and--occasionally--amp sims. My keyboard I connect through USB.

I got lost doing instrumental stuff. I bought a couple of books on how to fake various orchestral instruments using a MIDI keyboard and something like Garitan Personal Orchestra, but I never really understood it. Far more complex than I wanted to wrap my brain around.

7. The Mad Regent

Yeah, I was thinking earlier actually that recording through mic would give you a natural reverb so you don't have to add artificial reverb post-recording. Also it would pick up all the natural sounds more effectively making it sounds a lot more genuine and realistic. I suppose it depends on what effect you're looking for really. Though, saying that, direct input could be ran through the amps reverb (if it has one) but that's still artificial compared to natural room acoustics, like Abbey Road or Sound City.

Emulating orchestral instruments via MIDI does sound like a ball ache. Probably better just record them live, or find some kind software emulation, or even use samples.

8. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I did the "music track" and shot the photos of the first ever storm I chased in this video. But it's like the second "song" I have ever done, so don't judge! Alas the thunder is samples. You will probably recognise the sounds from any other Sony music studio production done by some amateur hack.

I want to get a midi keyboard and do it proper like.

9. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

Been doing a bit this past year, mainly cos I started listening to rap music. I can spend a long while on a simple beat getting it sounding right - I love it cos it appeals to the left and right side of my brain, get to be creative and quite analytical at the same time.

The Mad Regent likes this.
  10. The Mad Regent

That's pretty cool actually. It's very basic, as you said, it was your second song, but it's my kind of thing. I like Ambient 'Solar Fields' kind of stuff:

If you're still interested in that stuff Aaron, I can help you out with beefing up your sound and stuff.

11. The Mad Regent

Yeah, I spend ages on drums as well. Can spend a good hour or two just on layering up a kick drum.

HelloThere likes this.
  12. HelloThere

HelloThere Senior Member

Do you ever spend hours on something and it just never gets to that sweet spot that you want? Fukin' hate that shit.

Also have you got a soundcloud? I think sharing a link here might be classed as advertising but if you've got one send me a link in a personal message or something.

13. The Mad Regent

I have spent hours on things and it's never ended how I wanted it to sound. That's kind of how I learnt over the years: trial and error.

I don't have soundcloud and I've only just picked up my DAW again after quite some time, but I'll make something soon and send it over.

Actually, I did make a short loop the other day out of boredom. I was just throwing all kinds together to get the feel for it again. I've uploaded: http://www.filedropper.com/bored

14. Aaron DC

Which app are you using for your drum loop creation? Fruitloops? I found the Sony software kinda clunky and can't for the life of me find the percussive sounds I want in their library installed with the software.

I want to get the keyboard so I can do some key assignments and go from there.

15. Aaron DC

I like the pic and the sound.

Appreciate the offer for help, but the journey is the key for me, not the destination. Learning to develop my composing skills is something I am looking forward to doing, organically, in my own time and unique way. :D

16. The Mad Regent

Yeah, I use Fruityloops Studio mostly. It's one of the best DAWs for loops and stuff. I get most of my samples from the Vengeance sample packs, though. Once you learn about layering and equalization, you can combine samples to create new sounds. Layering is pretty much essential for making fat and interesting sounds.

I found Cubase to be really like for the layout and arrangement, though. You can easily manipulate parts of your track, but creating loops and stuff is a bit more messy, and it's generally slower than FL.

The journey is great. It took me ages to figure some things out, even though they turned out to be quite simple, and some things are still very much a mystery to me.