1. SeverinR

SeverinR Contributing Member

Strange

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by SeverinR, Mar 18, 2011.

I am doing a writing challenge for a month- 1 topic a day.
    For the piece to count it should be 400+ words.

I didn't think I liked the topic for yesterday, but I ended up writing 1400words.

Topic: involves someone crying.

I was shocked when I finished and looked at the word count.(granted its the program word count not actual.)

I guess thats the point of the challenge, try to create an interesting SS from a small subject.

Worst one so far- a day in the life of the MC. How many people have routinely interesting days?

Anyone else suprised at how a challenge drives you to write?

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

I like twisting the rules of a challenge. For instance, once I got a prompt "write a detective story," so I made the detective a bumbling idiot who turned out to be a fraud and one of the good-guy suspects was the one to crack the case.

For this once-a-day thing, can you use the same MC and overall plot, and basically write multiple scenes that could be eventually laced together as a part of something bigger?

3. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Contributing Member Contributor

I find this kind of thing works very poorly for me, partly because I don't have time for it. I have had some limited success with 24-hour film-making challenges though. And I know for a lot of people this kind of challenge really helps, so I encourage you to go on with it.

I find that the only thing that drives me to write a lot is to focus on things that I'm impassioned about. If I do this, I find I can average 5000 words per day easily. Sometimes I can write double that. Now that's first draft stuff we're talking about, of course. Still, when I discovered that passion is the secret to productivity for me, it made me feel like I have the capacity to be a professional writer. I've got plenty of passion.

If this a challenge you're setting for yourself, I'd encourage you to pick topics which you are genuinely impassioned about. You'll get so much more done, and the writing will be so much more interesting.

4. FictionAddict

FictionAddict Senior Member

You could write about his/her day looking at it with different perspectives. Have you ever heard the song A Day in the Life by The Beatles? It's Lennon talking about things he read in the paper - "I read the news today oh boy / About a lucky man who made the grade / And though the news was rather sad / Well I just had to laugh..." - while McCartney talks about the small things - "Woke up, fell out of bed, / Dragged a comb across my head"

Here's a link to the song, in case you haven't heard it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng I think that was a brilliant take into the rotine of everyone.

About your other question... I've never took any challenge, but I'm starting to think I should. It must be a great way to strech yourself and get out of your comfort zone writing.

5. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Second question first. I am not surprise at all. Challenge and deadline are the only things which usually make me complete my writing projects.

Coming back to the first question, as soon as a char is your MC, nothing about him in your story should be mundane/routine. So, you should choose a day in his life which is worth telling. It's like being on the news. Nobody reports about somebody/something if there is not a 'story' about him/in it. You are like that reporter who is bringing the viewers an interesting story, if not 'the breaking news'. But I am not saying your MC should wake up with a shot gun and shoot his wife; the actions and descriptions itself may seem mundane and routine, but the story behind it should be something worth telling. I really hope this is making sense :)

6. Xander

Xander New Member

How do you choose your topics? I'd love to do something like this - but without having to chose the topics for myself.

7. Smoke

Smoke Contributing Member

I think I'm more in the "drawing memes" type challenge without deadlines. I do wander through tropes until I find an idea that I want to mess with, but the site is distracting.

I suppose standard Libromancy would be a good alternative. Take a random book, open it to a random page, see if it sparks something. Maybe there is a name for when you have a random button on your web browser.

8. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

Ian McEwan's novel 'Saturday' is all set in one day, Saturday the 15 February 2003, the day of the demonstration against the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The character has a whole load of routine things planned--although this routine is interesting of itself because he's a surgeon--but then everything goes wrong. Don't you ever have days that start off normally and then pan out unexpectedly? I think it's a great idea for a topic. Oh, and I recommend the book if you haven't read it.