Tags:
  1. BWriter

BWriter Member

Stream of Consciousness

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BWriter, Jul 11, 2016.

Basically I am writing a story and want the reader to get inside the characters head. With that in mind I have started playing about with stream of consciousness. Trouble is my entire experience with it is a five minute conversation and a I guess I just want to talk about it a bit before i go all out with it. Has anyone got any advice for this device? Or can any one recommend some writers that have done it well who I can check out?

Thanks in advance

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

A lot of stories are what I'd call inside the character's head. So I think I'd need more explanation of the goal.

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributing Member

Stream of consciousness is a style where you write as if the character is expressing things from their head, it's a little more ambling and more heavily coloured by and representing their thoughts. It is also often done in present tense first-person.
    As such @BWriter, it is important that you have a very solid understanding of you're character. Historical context and culture should be incorporated. It's also important to consider you are doing it. Because it's a difficult style.
    Some examples of it are Ms Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and The Catcher in the the Rye by J.D Salinger. It is somewhat of a classical post-modernist style, and is quite uncommon as the primary style.

4. BWriter

BWriter Member

It is sort of a vigilante story. The main character is trying to stop his younger sister falling in with the wrong crowd. Only he is mentally ill and no one knows it yet. My first idea is to write the main story in third person but have paragraphs every so often written as stream of consciousness to show the rage building and hint at the illness. I have written an outline but that's it ao far.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My advice is to read more works that use stream of consciousness. I find that this is one of those things that's best learned through imitation, but that's just my opinion.

Oscar Leigh likes this.