1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Active Member

Structure of my WIP

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Aug 23, 2016.

Hello beautiful writers/readers! Good to see this forum very active and lively.

I have a rather irritating question about structure which I'm admittedly very stubborn about changing in my WIP. I have a very vivid and certain vision of my WIP and I just cannot see it any other way. I have tried fixing it into chapters and that works very well but just not with this one. I am 110,000 words into it and plan to have it organized this way.

Prologue

Part 1

Part II

Part III

Epilogue

Yes, I'm very aware of the strong dislike for prologues but this story would not be complete without that part of the structure; it'll be sloppy. I have so much editing to do still and I've even considered adding chapters within the 'parts' but that's just too much in my opinion.

I also plan on seeking traditional publishing with this novel and even if it's not what big publishers are looking for, I'm sure one of the smaller ones might take a liking to it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  2. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

So there would be no subdivisions other than these? It's going to be more than 110K words and divided into only five parts?

I wouldn't like it as a reader.

You say you know the arguments against prologues and epilogues, so I won't go into those, but what's your objection to chapter breaks?

3. Alex R. Encomienda

I would consider the idea of putting something of a subdivision such as 'titles' of parts that consist of 5-15 pages in the place of chapters but I don't like the idea of having parts within parts so I'll be sacrificing one or the other.

4. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

What are you writing? Genre, or literary, or...?

5. Alex R. Encomienda

Fantasy fiction; a standalone story with no sequel books.