1. Dove

Dove New Member

Struggleing with an outline.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Dove, Jun 18, 2010.

Hey everyone!
    I've made an outline of my book already, but i'm wondering if i should add more to make it more exiting or leave as is. Any ideas of what i should do?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Whatever way works best for you. I don't use a written outline at all, other people draw up detailed outlines that detail every scene.

When you're ready to start writing, do it. If you find you need a more detailed outline, you can go back and add to it.

3. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja New Member

if the outline is already completed, leave it alone. Once you start writing the actual novel you may need to alter the outline based on what you have fleshed out in the narrative through actually writing the outlined scenes and actions.

I find if I use an outline, that it hampers me later on. Once I get into the actual writing, I find that many elements get switched around or even deleted. That's why you shouldn't make too detailed of an outline. Everytime I have written out a detailed outline, I find that when I actually start the writing process, I try too hard to conform to the outline and that I am not able to go in the direction the written narrative is taking me. Sometimes, as I'm writing, I realize that there is more potential in what I have written already, than the outline I had written out before I started the actual writing process.

My advice-although it might not be worth anything to you, as I am a fairly inexperienced writer- write a bare bones outline with each scene and actions taken by characters. If you try to add too much before you start writing, you may pigeon-hole yourself into something you don't really like. At least that has been my experience so far. So I dunno, it may help you or it might not.

4. Arvik

Arvik New Member

I have more of a "road map," detailing beginning, end, and important "landmarks" (plot points) along the way. I find it's a nice balance of structure and freedom.

If you're worried about your story not being exciting enough, take another look at the conflicts you have brewing. Is there any way to raise the stakes, or make things harder for your characters? Excitement isn't all action, internal conflict can be gripping.

Just my two cents. If you want to get started, use that eagerness! You can always fix/make your outline later.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since an outline is only for your own use in writing the book, it doesn't have to be 'exciting'...

but if you really meant the 'synopsis' then that's another story altogether... in that case, it should excite the readers [who'd be agents and/or publisher's acquisitions editors]...