Tags:
  1. bluelightning

bluelightning New Member

Struggling, not succeeding at learning to write

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by bluelightning, Aug 23, 2012.

I am a person/that person that has the suitcase full of talent and capability and gifts and etc.. but I don't have a produceable skill... Ultimatly my need is to learn to write, to learn to put my ideas in writing to learn the building fundamentals similar to carpentry etc.. Everyone I have spoken with claims I need to choose a genre or all they offer is critque, practice and reading material. "Broad is the way into hell and many their be that find it.. " Basically my life at post present. I've also scoured the articles online and books in the library without even a narrowed success. Asking respondants to reply through / by narrowing it or explaining or instruction.
    I"m the gift locked by broadness,
    "The Guy", without the skill.. (due) TO BROADNESS. Also all replys will reach me at my email, I'm not checking back on here, I'll happy to answer/respond to you through any further emails.
    Thanks !!

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Usually when you post on a forum, you get your responses on the forum. That way everybody benefits from the discussion. If you don't get many responses, odds are that'll be why.

3. agentkirb

agentkirb Contributing Member

I'm not completely sure what you are asking other than how to get better at writing in general. A few key things to consider:

1. Books exist that give great tips, especially to new writers. I've picked up a few... usually you can find them on Amazon or perhaps a local bookstore for somewhere around 5-10 dollars. Forums like these are good for specific topics, but if you want general tips books will do it for you better IMO.

2. Realize that you aren't going to go from novice to expert at this in a year. It's literally something that you just learn by doing it a bunch and eventually as you write more your writing gets better.

3. Finding a group to review works with helps. To be honest, I'm really bad about doing this myself, but I hear that having someone review your work (and you reviewing theirs because seeing mistakes in other people's writing helps you avoid those mistakes in your own) is a really good learning tool for a writer. I'm sure there are places you could find online to help with this. Maybe even some people here would be interested.

4. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Sounds like a case of being arrogant... Judging from your current post, you're actually not a very good writer at all, and you seem unwilling to actually learn considering you've been given sound advice but you seem reluctant to follow it, I would hesitate to say you're a "gifted person" with "a suitcase full of talent". I think that's just fanciful thinking.

Show some evidence of your suitcase full of talent and wait for your readers to give you the praise you deserve, not self-praise.

You'll probably never read this anyway, right? If you don't want to respond to a forum, don't post in a forum. And truth be told, we're all human, our responses are likely gonna be similar to any writer friends you've asked in person already. I think what you need to change might be your attitude.

1 person likes this.
  5. ThievingSix

ThievingSix Member

Seriously dude? How can you be a gift if you can't even figure out how to write? That's like claiming to be a master chef, without being able to cook.

If friends, books and articles on-line can't help you. Nothing ever will. Most probably your the problem. I've known people who speak a totally different language, learn English in 2 years and are able to write a brilliant piece of material purely from books and short lessons. Its more about your mindset and willingness to realise that to become the best, you need others to help you along the way.

1 person likes this.
  6. HayleyEditor

HayleyEditor New Member

No disrespect, but just get on with it. Shit or get off the pan!
    Commit to writing a page or so a day and your skills will grow. There isn't a magic wand that's going to turn you into a writer. You have to be hungry for it. If the stories aren't oozing out of your pores, begging to be smudged onto the page then maybe your talents would be better placed elsewhere.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Then you are not a person/that person who has a 'suitcase full of talent'. It stands to reason.

Also, a suitcase isn't that big.

If this comment seems harsh then that's exactly what I'm being. You can't just come to a forum and say 'Here is a question, I'm not bothered about the answers!' and honestly, why should we care?

1 person likes this.
  8. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

You do have one talent at least, being able to make people not like you with a single paragraph!

9. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Contributing Member

I like suitcases. I stuff a lot of shit in them, and call them clothes, but they're really just shit.

10. lachesis77

lachesis77 Member

Wow, okay. Why bother signing up here if you're not interested in checking back here anymore?

It sounds like you're not really looking for help, but rather praise. Broadness or lack of genre definition generally don't stop good writers from creating interesting and well crafted stories. It sounds like you're using them as an easy excuse. If you want to improve your writing, you have to keep writing and you have to listen to every bit of feedback and constructive criticism you receive. All of the critiques you've received from other people, the ones you don't seem to like hearing very much? Those are what help you improve the most.

Ultimately, you will never "learn" to write if you expect to become an overnight literary sensation. It doesn't work that way. Reading reference materials on writing is good, but you need to start writing, put what you've learned into practice, find out what needs to be polished and actively try to learn from your mistakes. It's the only way you'll see any improvement in your writing.

11. Program

Program Member

Lol. It's amusing how those people you mentioned said you need to "choose a genre" in order to be able to produce something well. That could go both ways. One interpretation could be they are saying you write in too many genres and in order to write well, you have to focus on one specific genre. Then, maybe you need to find some different people from whom to get advice ... or, the other interpretation ... let's just say that wouldn't be too good if they are right!

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto to all the above!

and i doubt anyone will risk sending an email to what could be just a new way to spam, or infect the gullible with all kinds of nasty computer bugs...

13. DanesDarkLand

DanesDarkLand Senior Member

Blue, I'm not even sure that you're asking a question. Writing can be a talent, but there are lots of people out there who waste talents by not developing them. If you don't know what type of book you like to read, ie the genre, how can you write? And, quite frankly, writing is just that, writing. If you won't write, how can we help you when all we want to do ourselves is write? I love watching the forums to see what people are saying, to see how they respond to questions. I find all kinds of ideas, ways to clean up my own writing, and the like, from forums.

I'm not sure that you didn't post just to irritate people, or just to troll and see what happens. If you had an interest in writing, what we say wouldn't matter. You would just write. No matter how broad your tastes are, if you are a writer, you'll write. Period.

14. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

Haha, good luck with that! :D

15. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 Senior Member

Writing is like a muscle that needs to be exercised in order to maintain its strength. My English teacher summed it best by stating that great writers are created through hard work and dedication. The best way to learn how to write is to sit on your arse and practice. Start off with short stories and then work your way up to novels if you wish.

I also don't believe one has to choose a genre. In fact, I think that can be very limiting.