1. Wuntila

Wuntila New Member

Style Struggling to Start

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Wuntila, Mar 20, 2014.

Good afternoon all.

I'm not sure whether this topic has already been addressed, but I couldn't find any reference to it here in the forums.

Primarily, I'm seeking advice on how to actually start my story. Pathetic. Clichéd. I know. But I'm struggling nonetheless...

I have an idea. There are many central characters that will combine in a Science Fiction setting in a myriad of different scenarios and/or situations. I have developed the concept for a central setting - a station that lends itself to the parliament of beings that populate wider space - but I just can't get it down on paper. I don't know whether to start from a particular character's perspective, or to introduce the station, the setting, and then dive into character introduction. Any advice on actually getting these ideas onto the page would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Sam, my advice is this:

Just start writing. As vapid and facile as that sounds, just do it. Nothing is set in stone. There's nothing that can't be revised and moved, reimagined later on, changed, eliminated, etc. It's all as pliable as wet clay. When I start a story, the first pages I write are never the actual first pages of the story, and my scenes rarely come to me in any kind of chronological order. They may end up somewhere in the middle as the real start of the story shows itself later on. They may end up in the garbage as simple "warm-up" pages, and even then they weren't a waste in the least bit because they got me to where I needed to be to really get into the full steam of the story.

Just start writing. Right now your worrying is blocking your creative flow. Let the flow flow where it wants to flow. Once it's going, then you can start guiding it to paths that start to show themselves. But right now all you have is a big dam and no flow. The spice must flow...

[​IMG]

Andrae Smith, minstrel and jannert like this.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just start writing... don't think about it... don't agonize over it... don't try to plan it...

start wherever the story seems to start in your head... or with the scene that is most vivid in your mind... the beginning can always be changed, but nothing can be changed [or work!] if you just keep saying you don't know where to start and never write anything down...

Andrae Smith, jannert and aikoaiko like this.
  4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Ditto @Wreybies and @mammamaia. The longest journey begins with a single step. Yours is to start writing.

minstrel likes this.
  5. aikoaiko

aikoaiko Contributing Member

Yes. Just start. No one has to see it but you, do they?:)

jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's actually a good thing to think about. You don't have to show anybody what you're working on till you think it's done. I know I was well into writing my first draft of my novel before I even admitted I was writing at all. People will pester you if they know you're writing, so you might want to keep it under your hat till you're more confident.

7. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    You don't have to know your whole story before you begin and you don't have to write it from A to Z. Write what you have, even if it's crap, and watch it evolve. Go back later and add, tweak, rearrange, omit. The more you over think it the more you'll get in your own way. If you don't start, you'll stay stuck. Just write. :)

8. Wuntila

Wuntila New Member

Thanks for your advice, everyone. I really appreciate the strong response. It's made me feel better about my situation. I'll definitely just get my head down and start. Besides, what harm can it do?

9. vera2014

vera2014 Contributing Member

I'm having trouble starting a story too. I feel your pain.

10. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

I just started writing in the middle and branched out from there.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

It might sound as I'm trying to be clever but I'm not. You just ... start! You can decide on the best scene to start with later, when you know what you have to work with. For now, just sit down and write. The rearranging can wait.

12. Michael Collins

Michael Collins Contributing Member

Or maybe you could just start from the end.

13. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

The best way to start (for me) is by writing a first draft of your synopsis. Whether it takes two or twenty two pages, after a few hours or days you should have all you want to happen in the story down on paper. Then you can meditate on that, to see if you can identify important scenes you envisage writing. Everyone has a scene in mind, a mental picture that fed the story idea. Use that. By the time you did this, you can be inspired to start writing. But if you end up with even more questions that need answering, such as, who'll be your cast of characters, whose point of view you are most interested in (your protagonist) what sort of ending you can imagine etc, you'll be refining the idea which can lead you to much better plot and storyline then originally thought. I wrote a novella without any planning (chic flick) but I also have a novel that only had some character musings, backstories and a synopsis before I started writing it (supernatural sci fi) and I also have a story that has detailed character sheets, research and even scene by scene plan (detective mystery). Do whatever it takes to coax that story out of your head and onto the paper. Good luck! :)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  14. Siena

Siena Active Member

For me, if I outline and get the story sorted in my head, then the actual writing is much easier.

I'll have the scenes figured out in my head. And when I'm ready to start, I just put them down on paper.

It's a first draft, of course. But I've started.

15. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

Write several connected scenes in the story in your head first. Then you'll know where to start.

Is the story about the station or a character?

16. AndyC

AndyC Member

I can't do anything but to agree with everyone. I found myself that over thinking is sometimes counterproductive.
    My advice would be to try to put on paper everything you have in your mind, and try to re-imagine it.
    I used to imagine a story from a single point of view and start developing from that, but recently I started to play with my stories, writing them on every perspective/point of view that I could imagine, and I found it to be really helpful because you kind of "open" your story to different possibilities, and you start to reach and compare every one you can imagine.