1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

"They" pronoun in 3rd person

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Dec 1, 2014.

I have a scene where my protagonist is with her friend and I find myself writing "they" this and "they" that, because what is happening is happening to both of them. I am trying to maintain POV in the protagonist's head. Is it okay to write "they" occasionally or should it be "she and her friend"? Or something else?

2. Eric Byers

Eric Byers New Member

She and her friend actually makes me feel as though ive lost POV so id yse they and them, stay away from repetitions though. Just my thoughts on it.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"They" shouldn't be used for thoughts or feelings, only for actions. I would suggest sticking firmly to your POV character's POV. Random example:

As they ran, the car exploded, sending shards of metal and glass toward them. They reached the shelter of the wall just in time--Jane felt the heat of the explosion on her back as she wheeled around the far side and fell to the damp, gritty ground. Judy was an instant behind her; she skidded to a stop, kicking up gravel into Jane's face.

The heat, the damp, the grit, and the gravel in the face is all Jane's POV. Jane observes Judy's movement and her skidding to a stop. "They" ran and the shards are thrown toward "them" because those are facts rather than thoughts, feelings, or tactile sensations.