1. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Struggling to write, please help!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by A.S.Ford, Feb 23, 2016.

Recently, I have been struggling with a story I have been working on due to the pressure it, and other people, seem to be putting on me to complete it. I realised that I need to re-learn how to ignore these pressure as I was able to do it before and greatly increase my progress, however, I can't remember how to do this. My friend suggested taking a break from writing on the pc and returning to working on paper. I was wondering if any one else had any other ideas for me to try as well?

2. Roux

Roux Member

Writing on paper could help. Maybe even take a little break from your current story and work on something else for fun? Sometimes that's helpful at relieving pressure.
    While I'm no expert on this by any means, I feel I can relate to you because I've gone through similar things with my own WIP. Some advice I think might help is to realize that this isn't anyone else's story, its YOUR'S, and that means you can finish it at your own pace. Remember why you started writing the story in the first place...was it to please other people? My guess would be no and the reason was more likely related to enjoyment, loving the story, a creative outlet etc. etc.
    Whenever you're feeling pressured just remember writing isn't about the destination, its about the journey (cheesy metaphors for the win haha). Whether the book takes you ten years to finish or ten months, it's for you as the author to decide. Try not to worry about what other people want :)
    Just my quick 2 cents haha, good luck!

MeadhbhMoryx likes this.
  3. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Thank you for your reply Roux, I think taking a little break might be a good idea, haha! One of the problems I have with this particular project, however, is that it does have a deadline (mid-April) but that does still leave me some time left to take a step back and return to my original enjoyment and connection to the piece like you suggested. Thanks again :)

4. AlcoholicWolf

AlcoholicWolf Contributing Member

Listen to some music, find something to inspire you for a little while.

5. TopherT

TopherT Member

Taking a break is a bad idea, as the best way get a flow, and keep it going, is by writing. Write when you don't want to write, write when you do, and write all the times in between.

Create a timetable of when to write and be as disciplined as you can with it.

My days are all about schedule. Try meditation and exercise. Meditation settles the mind and moves the jigsaw puzzle pieces around. Exercise releases endorphins and that will free your mind to write.

6. nastyjman

nastyjman Contributing Member

I write my first drafts with pen and paper. There was an interview with Neil Gaiman regarding this: writing back and forth from PC to paper. He eventually found out which medium gave him more pleasure in terms of writing the first draft--good ole' pen and paper.

You can experiment with this, see which medium makes your creative-brain happy. I was appalled when I heard some writers wrote with pen and paper, but I tried it (because I was desperate) and loved it ever since. Thinking back, it reminded of my childhood, scribbling stories and sketching comics on my notebooks which were intended for school.

There are also folks who attest to typewriters, but that's not me.

Find your writer's bliss.

7. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Thank you AlcoholicWolf, TopherT, and nastyjman for all your suggestions :) I will try almost any technique to get me back into writing, haha.

8. TopherT

TopherT Member

You're most welcome. :)

As long as you do my suggestions first. :p

Don't stress over it, just get into a routine and your mind and body will take over.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Is the pressure coming from others or from within you? If it begins with others then the answer is to not talk about what you're writing. If someone asks, just be noncommittal about it. You really don't owe anyone an explanation. Your writing is YOURS.

OTOH, if the pressure is coming from within, then you just have to take control. Unless you've committed to an external deadline, there is no reason to rush. Some folks like to impose production quotas on themselves, but I've always thought that whatever gains this provides in terms of quantity are paid for by loss of quality. In the long run, it isn't worth it.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  10. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributing Member

I suppose my answer would depend on what point you're stuck at. If you're staring at a blank page or only a chapter my suggestions might not help. If you already have a lot of work done take this opportunity to go back to the beginning and work on some honest editing. You might find yourself writing in a whole new character or maybe something you wrote months ago now seems to not work but you have a better idea. Failing that you can skip forward. There are times when I can clearly see a chapter that isn't needed until far down the book's timeline but there's no reason I can't write it now. Maybe even write the ending, if you know how your story is going to end, then it can help in focusing the rest.
    Many people write outlines, not my style, but if I do have a file of random thoughts that have come to me when I couldn't write the specific scene. I'm always flipping back through those notes for ideas since many of them require earlier set ups.

Good luck

11. Ayn G

Ayn G New Member

Start writing about what is happening now. In a notebook, with a pen, lol, not on the computer. Start with a couple of sentenses (or paragraphs if needed), and express the reason or motivation you had when you started your book. Proceed with details and description of todays situation. Who says what to you and why. Are they just applying pressure on you because ... they can? Because you allow them? Or because they "care"? Are the friend or foe? How would you expect a friend to motivate you to finish your book etc.
    Then put your self in their place and reverse the scenario.
    At the end of the ... Do you really care?
    All you should care about regarding your writing is your own goals.
    By the time you write all of that on paper ( which will probably be finished within a day) you will be inspired and ready to proceed with your book. Keep your ears closed to the ... "Pressure machines"... Aka friends. Open your ears and eyes and heart to your inner spirit. Listen to nature, the chirping od the birds every morning, the sounds of the waves as you walk by the ocean, the strong winds hissing through the trees in a cold winter night. In other words DO YOUR THING. ONLY YOU CAN DO IT. SO ... DO IT. Good luck.

12. Michaelhall2007

Michaelhall2007 Member

Why type at all?
    I use my Ginger Keyboard app which has a handy speech to text button.
    Any idea I get I record on there. Plus I can drive home from work writing my best seller by just chatting to my phone.
    Granted I do have to correct all the grammatical errors but it's quicker to say 1000 words than to type them.
    Although I'm typing at the moment, but here's what happens when I talk...

this is what is looks like when I use the microphone
    Do a deer a female deer
    she sells seashells on the seashore

13. Alejandro89

Alejandro89 Member

Sometimes the best thing to do is just let it go and start a nee project.

14. MeadhbhMoryx

MeadhbhMoryx Member

Hey,
    Sometimes I like to write my first draft on paper. Maybe it's the slower process but I feel it gives my brain time to muse better.
    I also find that reading it on Dropbox on my phone where I can't edit it, also gives me a new perspective.
    I'm writing a book but when I feel heavy, I take side breaks into smaller projects.
    Something to keep the creative juices flowing but not too heavy.
    You will honestly just need breaks sometimes and that's okay.
    After all the immersion in the doing, when you take down time it gives the side of your brain, that takes longer to make connections, time to collide. It gives your head the space to have 'Aha' moments. Some inspiration to move your story forward.
    It all about balance man.
    Also ref pressure: Disclaimer- I am a noob, nobody is putting pressure on me to do anything only myself BUT I think you/me/we-have got to remember to write for ourselves first. That is the only thing that will work for me. Do you still feel like your doing that?

15. MikeyC

MikeyC Member

What works for me, is writing something new for a couple of days. Even just ideas for books, (the length of my idea list is quite impressive now), but that small break, takes you away from the deadline project. It is very easy to get too close to a project, and having the ability to step away from it, having a fresh look later on, the ideas often come streaming in. And you start wondering, 'why did I have trouble in the first place.'

I like to take a month or two between edits.......

Rgds

Mike

16. PassTheDrinks

PassTheDrinks Member

Stress and pressure is always a bad way to get someone to complete written works. As it probably wouldn't come out as good as it should. However, encouragement is always needed in my opinion. I agree with your friend, taking a break, maybe getting in some new scenery, trying something new, going on a little travel (even if it's just taking a bus or taxes a few miles from your usually scene), do something new.