1. cmp

cmp New Member

Calling all younger siblings!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by cmp, Jul 19, 2011.

I need help. I'm the oldest in my family and my MC has an older brother. They get along great and she thinks he's everything she could wish for in an older brother. I have no idea what that would be. If you could please leave a few traits your older siblings have that you love (or you wish they had) I would really appreciate it. Thanks !

2. Rennuruof

Rennuruof Member

I wish my brothers had the ability to understand that their actions have consequences that effect other people... wow, I can't believe I said it.

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

The elder brother or sister should not be bossy or be a third parent. I'm the youngest of three, and both of them shoving majors down my throat is not exactly helpful nor encouraging. Having four parents is a nightmare to any college freshman.

I know they care, they just need to shut up and stop panicking. Compared to them, I'm far more prepared for college.

In short, I'd love an older sibling who is really relaxed and is able to recognize that I am in control of my life. I'd like a friend, not another parent.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Older siblings are usually taught to look after (keep an eye out for) their younger brother/sister. Sometimes you get the older sibling with a younger brother or sister in tow - the elder child may recent this but, having been told to let the younger child go with him and his friends, he/she has no say in the matter.

This teaches the older child a feeling of responsibility towards the younger child.

As to what you would want in an older sibling - speaking for myself, my older (by 7yrs) sister is my best and most loyal friend. She is always there for me. When my husband died, she dropped everything and was there by my side when I needed her most (I could go on). However I wish she wasn't such a tantalizing torment - she has always been the same, so there's no chance of her changing now.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What she will wish for in an older brother will vary depending on her age. I became an older brother (by 5 years) only after having been an only child for 18 years when my mother remarried after my father's death and I suddenly had a 13-year-old stepsister (who was also an only child). We became very close, dropping the "step-". What she wanted from me in those years was 1) someone to drive her places (which, since I was a newly licensed driver, I was happy to do), 2) someone she could talk to when she was chafing against parental limitations, both to vent and occasionally to get objective feedback, 3) someone to help her with math homework (well, what she really wanted was for me to DO her math homework, but I tutored her instead - heh, heh, heh), 4) someone to talk to about boys (she never took my advice, btw; they never do), and 5) someone to share various family crises with.

Hope this helps a little.

6. PenandPencil

PenandPencil New Member

I'm the youngest in my family, along with my twin, and my elder brother is 3 years my senior. We get along as much as we fight. Make of that as you will (or whatever that phrase is) but we do fight A LOT. I think it's just us, though. Personalities or somethin' ...

But I have to admit, I do rather look up to my brother, no matter what. And even without trying, I'm always impressing him - even if I don't know I am. Perhaps you could squeeze that in somewhere in the relationship between your characters? I mean, we are so alike, but then we are not. We look very similar, but we like different stuff. It's very strange, I mean, I can absolutely despise him one day, and then if he was hurt I'd be praying for him. It's a strange but, I think, common relationship. But still ... I do not have that with my twin. We never fight ( well, er...) . :D

Hope that helps, in some way.

7. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I have an older brother.(2yrs)
    I tagged along when I was younger.
    We fought verbally and physically regularly from about 7 on.

I think the greater the distance in age, the less fighting there is.

but, I think if you want it to be believable, they should not be a perfect match.
    Even the most loving siblings, do or say something to the other sibling that is annoying.

8. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

My older brother is eleven years older than me (from dad's previous relationship). He was never a third parent though. He was a troublemaker who has had a lot of trouble with the law and drug use, but made a remarkable recovery these last couple of years.

When I was little I looked up to him a lot, and he would let me play video games with him and watch scary movies when my parents were out. I loved that he never treated me like a bother, even though I was little and most likely very annoying like all kids are.

But I guess what I have admired about my brother is that he always did his best to not get us involved in his troubles. I've had a few drunken calls from him, but he has always been clean when he came to see me (from knowing others with family members who has drug problems, I realize how good and considerate that is). I also liked that he was protective, but that could go too far sometimes. I had a boyfriend who cheated on me a while back. My brother went and beat him up and got arrested. Not a good thing.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm not a younger sibling, but I was about to suggest this as it's something I've observed in others. Especially when it's a big brother with a younger sister who acts like an overprotective dad about dating.

10. art

art Contributor Contributor

I've two older sisters: one by three years and the other by six.

The younger of the two is personable and attractive, and consequently had many personable and attractive friends, and consequently, I spent no little time in the company of older, personable and attractive girls when I was a lad.

The eldest of the two has frankly little going for her other than an ok taste in comedy and films...so I got to see some pretty cool stuff as a youngster.

11. cmp

cmp New Member

Thank you so much for all the answers! You're all so helpful!

12. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Relationships change at different stages in life. When I was younger, my older brother and I argued, fought, quarreled and he often played the "I'm bigger than you, so I know better" or "I'm older, so I get more freedom" card even though It wasn't to be malicious, but more of "haha" kind of way.

As I have gotten older, my relationship with my brother has changed to where he's more like best friend than a brother/sister. He's supportive, someone I can always go to no matter what, someone I can laugh and hang around with, and whose advice I seek when in a tough situation. He also comes to me for advice now. I know his strengths and weaknesses and we play off that. I support him where he's weak, and use him for his strengths and he does the same.

I think regardless of anything, if you want to show a strong younger-sibling/older-sibling relationship you need mutual respect. Everything else will fall in place if you both respect each other.