1. jim79

jim79 Member

stuck in the doldrums

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jim79, Nov 14, 2013.

Hi,

I've writing well for the last few months and i was hoping to get to about 80,000 by the new but I'm now stuck at 57,000. I've tried writing out the chapters in rough but it feels like i've run out of steam. does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Take a short break and come back later, or break sequence and write other parts of the story. It is nice to have a goal but you should not rush or push yourself to meet a certain deadline (unless you are contracted). Your writing will suffer for it. As the saying goes, great work takes time.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You can't and shouldn't force it. It's very helpful to have another creative outlet - I have music and photography - to give vent to your creative impulses while at the same time letting your batteries recharge. But, really, any activity you enjoy will provide a nice change of pace, and we all need that once in a while.

4. L.T.

L.T. Member

I agree with Nilfiry. Unless you are rushing to meet a deadline, take a break. Whenever I hit a rough patch and don't feel inspired, I shift gears and write on another subject that flows easier. I have been working on two books right now and have been able to constantly write on one or the other. I would not suggest doing this with more than two at one time so that you don't leave your work unfinished.